We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

Greetings... only 2 days now before we leave. We were thinking of booking a day tour with EvanEvans that includes the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and the London Eye. Just thought I should make sure first if there are many "steps" to negotiate at any of these sites. Too many could be a problem. Also, would anybody recommend the EvanEvans Discovering London Tour over the Big Bus Tour or the Original London Sightseeing Tour? I have only seen the EvanEvans tour mentioned once on this Forum, but it sounded good to me. The price is 63 GBP and is an all day tour that includes entrance fees to the Tower, the Abbey and the Eye. Thanks everybody ...

Sooner Nation
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

The Tower did have a few stairs, and they were very tight fits and winding a little treacherous for sure.

My daughter and I had a running joke while we were in London about all the stairs. Seemed like everywhere we went we had to walk either up or down stairs to get there.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

My cousin and I did the Tower together. She's not into a lot of physical activity so found a bench to sit on at the Tower. I opted to climb the few winding stairs and walk around seeing as much as I could. She still saw plenty, including the crown jewels. She also struck up conversations with other bench-sitters and says she had as much fun as I did. Westminster Abbey might have a couple of steps inside, but nothing you can't manuever. Wear comfortable walking shoes, don't rush, stop to rest frequently and you should be ok. Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

This document on the tower's website: hrp.org.uk/Downloads/989700_ToL-Access-Guide…

gives a very comprehensive description of the ease of access to the different buildings/exhibits at the tower.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

Here a link to a guide on info accessiblity of places in London including infor on how amny steps are in the Tower. Be warned in case you don't have a high speed internet connection that it is 144 pages.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/pdf/rough-guide-acc…

The Tower does have some steps but it is OK if you can manage a few at a time - I did it once on crutches when I had some vistors from Japan who really wanted to see it. We made sure we went early in the moring so that the crowds were less and I wasn't holding too many people up. In general I found people very forgiving of my slowness. The Eye is no problem and is very easy to manage. Don't know first hand about the Abbey.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,169 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

The difference is that the Evan Evans tour is that you stay on the same coach with the same driver and the same guide who will be able to use the microphone at all times. You will pick up more and be able to ask questions and if you get stuck in traffic he or she will impart vast reams of knowledge.

Contary to rumour, there is not a written test before they allow you off at the end of the day!

The places these coaches stop at for the sights such as The Tower and The Eye are generally fractionally closer to the entrances than the hop on/hop off buses so slightly less walking but you will have the steps at The Tower whatever way you go.

Turkmenistan
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

Hi,

Last summer we took two tours with Evan-Evans, one of which was to Stonehenge and another was Discovering London. Both were really great! Smart guides with a lot of interesting stories about sites we had visited, comfortable coach. There were 2 disabled women amongst the passengers and the guides tried to do their best to help them to get easy to all the places.

I highly recommend the tours!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

Thanks everybody for your input ... Granny

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,169 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

Our first poster from Turkmenistan methinks! I feel a new thread coming on - wondering how many different countries have now posted here?

Oceano, California
Level Contributor
604 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stairs in the Tower, etc.?

I remember some of the smaller towers (buildings) at the Tower of London were quite small and winding. Coming down them was not fun. But there weren't many of them.

I think the difference between The Big Bus and EvanEvans tour of London is that with the Big Bus you can make your itinerary more flexible. With EvanEvans you have to stick with thier itinerary.