We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

EmParr, in discussing terrorist bombings in another thread, said that Londoners now live with the Ring of Lego. Hello, EmParr? Would you please translate for me? What is a Ring of Lego? Anyone else is welcome to jump in, too.

I was unaware of a bombing in the Docklands. In 1993 we were going to visit Londonderry (ancient family connection) but didn't, as there were 14 people killed over several days with bombings there, at Reading, and elsewhere. What a terrible thing. Thank God those days are over.

By the way, EmParr, when I see your name, I think of some Texan talkin' 'bout his visit to the EmParr State Buildin'. :)

Mentioned in this post
The Ring
The Ring
272 Reviews
London, UK
Docklands Lodge
Docklands Lodge
72 Reviews
London, UK
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,391 Reviews
from $125.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from $128.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from $113.00*
London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

Brit (sounds so Swedish),

After one or other bombings in the City area ( not meaning to sound glib at all), it was decided that some defensive measures were required to keep the terrorist threat at bay. Sooooo, large heavy plastic knee-high blocks were placed in formation along the streets to create a 'Ring' around the City. They were used to channel traffic into pinchpoints for police checks. They looked like large Lego blocks slung together, & one might say that the defensive ring looked like something a 5 year might construct.

The Ring of Lego remained in place for many years, & now we have huge numbers of CCTV cameras covering the City & London.. At the time of the Lego installation, the traffic system through the City streets were changed considerably, causing some confusion - ask a black taxi driver. The system flow now forces traffic through the City along several main routes, which I assume is easier to monitor & police.

Alas, I don't think those days are over. I hope that I am completely wrong & my scepticism is misplaced.

Mentioned in this post
The Ring
The Ring
272 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

And isn't it a play on the official description Ring of Steel?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

It's been a long time since an IRA bombing, hasn't it? That's the "those days" to which I refer. Isn't that why the pub killing earlier this year stirred such outrage?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

I was technical liason attached to the Luftwaffe in Germany, close to the large British army base at Monchengladback. At the time an IRA cell was active in Germany assassinating British soldiers and even their families. My wife proudly displayed a Union Jack plate on the front of her car. When the family was killed in their car at Monchengladbach, I pulled the plate off her car. It was bad enough that Germany made us display "U.S. Forces" license plates on the back of our cars without having to worry about the anti-British terrorists.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Union Tavern
Union Tavern
697 Reviews
London, UK
Monchengladbach
Monchengladbach
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

Ring of Steel - you're right.

So implausible, it barely registered in the memory cells.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

Choosing my words carefully...

One of the 'positive' outcomes of the 9/11 terrorist attacks was the realisation for some what bombing civilians actually means to people's everyday lives & the subsequent understanding of how donations to Irish paramilitaries are used.

I had a moment of cold relief when I heard on the radio an American man state after his 9/11 experienc & observation that they were no longer donating money or support to Irish 'political' causes.

Tit for tat killings & disciplinaries are still going on in Northern Ireland - people are still receiving beatings & shotgun injuries as before. It's just not headline news at present.

Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

The recent events around Robert McCartney's murder show that not much has changed.

He was brutally murdered in a crowded pub, no witnesses would come forward, the IRA denied any connection but offered to provide some 'summary justice' for the killers if RMcC's fiance & sisters so wished - perhaps so that they would go away.

Sadly, not much has changed at all.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

Britfan, it's been "a while" since the last IRA bomb, yes, but it depends on how long you mean by "a while", really. There was a car bomb in Ealing (West London suburb) in 2001 - somehow no one was killed. I believe that was claimed by "the real IRA" - a dissident faction of the 'ordinary' IRA. I'm fairly sure that was the last one. Quite a shock to me as most of the bombs were in central London, not just round the corner!

I'm with EmParr here, I'm afraid, I don't think those days are quite as 'over' as we'd all like to believe. But it is true that it seems to have stopped. It was worst in the 70s, I think, but even in my lifetime (I'm 22) there was a period where it seemed almost commonplace. The Docklands bomb in 96 and the bombing of a bus on the Strand a few days later are clearest in my mind - I think because the Docklands bomb broke a ceasefire that a lot of people believed would last.

It is true that 9/11 has made more people aware of what it's like to live with the threat of terrorist bombings. I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like to live in Belfast during the really bad years. A friend of mine is from Antrim and she says they used to hear distant bangs and just think "oh, another bomb". In London even during the worst period I think the bombs were always a shock, but security alerts and bombing threats were a part of life in London years before 9/11.

That was all doom and gloom, wasn't it? I wasn't trying to unnerve anyone, I just think a lot of people aren't aware of what it was like (and in the case of parts of Northern Ireland, what it still is like). I'm going to have to go and read a happy thread now...!

Mentioned in this post
Ealing
Ealing
50 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Docklands Lodge
Docklands Lodge
72 Reviews
London, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

i think you will find that pira still operate their criminal activities in ulster. they still target and carry out intelligence work in preparation for a resumption of action.

I dont think anyone in Britain needed a wake up call for the terrorist threat arising from NI. it is a shame it took a major disator on us soil to stope some peole funding the murder of british servicemen and their families

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ring of Lego / terrorist bombings

The numbers of those killed since the 70's ?? The link below on their "timeline" (scroll up and down)

…bbc.co.uk/onthisday/…2539265.stm

states that in April 1974 the IRA fatalities hit 1,000 and that was 25 years ago!!