We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Edinburgh

Oklahoma
1 post
Save Topic
London to Edinburgh

My husband and I are traveling to London for the first time and arrive next Wednesday morning. We would love to take a day trip into Edinburgh but are having a hard time finding a reasonable ticket price. We've priced the train but it appears to be pretty expensive. We would appreciate any insights you have into best day to travel, sites to check for discounts, etc. We also are taking the train to Paris, the cheapest ticket we have found is $134 pp, is that a good deal?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Edinburgh

London to Edinburgh return is quite a day trip, probably about a 12 or 13 hour day - v long. The train is going to be fairly pricey, because a cheap day return ticket wouldn't be valid before 0930, which would mean getting to Scotland around 1330, then not home until quite late.

There aren't really any discount sites, since prices are set by the rail company, and the prices shown at www.nationalrail.co.uk are the prices you'd pay if you walked up to the ticket counter at the station. You might want to try a company that does one day tours - there was a similar thread posted here a few months ago, you might try putting Edinburgh and tours in the search box.

Your fare to Paris (I presume on Eurostar) is just about right for this time of year - but if you can find a fare that's not too expensive, you might want to travel First instead of Standard - see tonymoco's posting about his journey less than 36 hours ago. Standard is going to be crowded, and although the trip is only three hours, First is a swell way to travel, if you can get a fare for not much more than what you've quoted above. Eurostar fares differ for time of day, as there are a lot of business people who travel in early morning and late afternoon Monday through Friday.

Hope this helps.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Edinburgh

I'd look at travelling with one of the budget airlines to Edinburgh - it's a much shorter journey time and if you're flexible with your days/times is often cheaper than the train. If you have time you might consider overnighting in Edinburgh - it's a long way to travel in a day and you'd be pushed to get a good visit out of one day.

Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Edinburgh

I agree with the last post. We are flying from London Gatwick to Edinbugh with Easyjet in September. Cost was about $113 per person US.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Edinburgh

Please, what pulic transportation is available from Edinburgh Airport to the city centre? Is there still a bus that travels that route?

Thank-you.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Edinburgh

Yes, there is a public service bus from the airport to the city centre - i think the terminus in Edinburgh is near the railway station.

The airport isn't that far away from the city so i've always used taxis.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Edinburgh

That's great. Thank-you Marcus.