We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

really dumb question about money

maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
really dumb question about money

ok - i could probably figure this out with a little more research, but since you all don't know me I can ask this very dumb question. I thought England now used EURO not the pound. I've been planning my trip to Paris and we plan to add a few days in London. Everything I've been planning on the French trip is all EUROs - then I start doing a little planning on the Enland trip and I see GBP- which I'm assuming is Great Britian pound. So they don't accept EURO??

Thanks for enlightening me!-

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: really dumb question about money

the UK uses the pound sterling as legal tender

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,464 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: really dumb question about money

Seriously, there aren't any dumb questions - just people who don't do their homework before they go. (good for you for asking)

Of the countries which first formed the EU, the UK (but NOT the Republic of Ireland), Sweden and Denmark have all chosen to continue to use their own currencies, not euros.

Euro coins are accepted at some pay phones in London (usually at tube or rail stations), but otherwise it is GBP - indeed Great Britain Pounds.

There - you're now enlightened and ready to go!

Mentioned in this post
The Euro Hotel
The Euro Hotel
752 Reviews
London, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
London
London
England, UK
maryland
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: really dumb question about money

Thank you so much - Is still feel a bit silly for having to ask - but boy would I have been in for a rude shock if I hadn't know ahead of time.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: really dumb question about money

Question...I thought I saw/read somewhere that the currency in Scotland, while still Sterling is different?? Do they have their own "GBP"?

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: really dumb question about money

Yes you've heard right - Scottish banks can and do print their own notes. They are Sterling and so Scottish notes are accepted in England; and Bank of England notes are accepted iin Scotland. Scottish bansk don't do their own coins, they're all Bank of Engalnd.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: really dumb question about money

"Big" stores like John lewis and Harrods accept Euro's incase you need to use your surplus up in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Harrods
Harrods
14,588 Reviews
London, UK
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: really dumb question about money

Just to add to Lara's last post big stores IN LONDON MAY accept Euros. They probably won't anywhere outside of London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Riverside...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: really dumb question about money

Hi CheshireCat,

Thanks for your response re. Scotland having different bank notes from England although interchangeable.

Is the value of these notes the same or different? For example, when I visit family in Canada, my American dollars and worth almost twice as much as Canadian dollars! Don't want any ugly surprises.

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
England
England
United Kingdom
Watford, England
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: really dumb question about money

The value of English and Scottish notes, as well as those produced in Northern Ireland, are indeed the same. It's not always easy to get Scottish one pound notes accepted in England, as we've used coins, not notes of that denomination for some years. That's why you'll see people like me at Scottish airports trying to get rid of them at the bars and shops.

In N Ireland I understand that they have plastic five pound notes.

Mentioned in this post
The English Restaurant
The English Restaurant
332 Reviews
London, UK
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
England
England
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: really dumb question about money

The Isle of Man also produce their own notes and coins, although you won't find many of those on the mainland.

Make sure you use all your Euros up before you go home. Talk in yesterdays papers was that the Germans and Italians are thinking of pulling out.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Man
Isle of Man
United Kingdom