We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Labels / MSG in the UK

Washington State...
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food Labels / MSG in the UK

Something just popped into my head that I figured I'd ask.

I don't recall whether or not the UK lists all the ingredients of their packaged foods like the USA does. I am assuming they do. However, since my visit in 2000 - I have developed a really nasty allergy to MSG (Mono-sodium Glutamate). I was wondering if it is used as abundantly in the UK as it is in the US - and if such things are listed on product labels. :)

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Food Labels / MSG in the UK

WOW! Your symptoms sound awful. Did you ever see a doctor? I know they often think you're out of your mind and do nothing helpful.

I don't know if "sensitivity" is the right word or "intollerance" but one or the other should fit!

There are other things taht can cause your 'intolerances' to get worse like some medications.

You are lucky you discovered what ails you in relatively short time, though 10 years seems forever, you didn't have to go through your whole life miserable.

I have had problems since I was a teenager and have discovered a whole bunch of intollerances that each individually or for only one day have no effect but put 1/2/3 together and for several days drive me crazy.

Doctors thought I was crazy too. I know different!!

We know our bodies better than anyone.

There's a book that might interest you-- Food Allergy and Intollerance: The Complete Guide to their Identification and Treatment--by Johnathan Brostoff/Linda Gamlin/ Healing Arts Press.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Food Labels / MSG in the UK

Professor Brostoff is considered leader in immunology & allergy research field. He is London based &, I believe, still sees patients.

Histamine is not in foods, but produced by the body as an immune response.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Food Labels / MSG in the UK

Thanks EmParr, it was really past my bed time when I wrote that about the histamine.Glad to hear Dr Brostoff is still practising.

Read the book!

Washington State...
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Food Labels / MSG in the UK

I'll definitely check into that book!

It's funny, all those symptoms came on in such increments, that I wasn't even really aware how bad it was I was practically in the middle of all of it! The first symptom I was aware of, was the swelling ankles, followed by the back pain. Everything else came after.

I went to doctors before I started investigating things on my own, and they really had no explanation for what I was going through. The only doctor who could relate to my symptoms, and was a big advocate for me to continue my MSG and Aspartame avoidance, was a chiropractor who also developed these same sort of symptoms and had battled it for years until she started avoiding those food additives.