We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First and last nights in Britain

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
First and last nights in Britain

Hi there, fellow travellers! Although this is my first posting to the TAF, I've been following it daily since my introduction to it 2 months ago! I feel as if some of the members are "old friends" already although I've never met you! Many thanks to adamhornets, henneth, offtolondon, rumrunner, and others who have given me useful info, tidbits, and "do nots". We're heading for Britain July 25(from Vancouver, BC, Canada) to Aug 16 and my notebook is already "bursting" with info from you. Again, thanks!

I do have a few questions though - as I haven't seen certain things "talked" about yet. We arrive at Heathrow, 1:30pm on Tues, Jul 26. It was a big decision as to whether to rent a car from Heathrow immediately, or stay a few days in London to recharge the "battery". We've decided to rent the car and save "the best for the last" when we can really enjoy the city! We're heading to Scotland for the first 10 days, then the last 10 in England.

Question: Where do we spend our first night? As noted above, we arrive at 1:30pm, so it will probably take 2 hours in the airport to go through customs, rent the car, and collect our thoughts! So, we wouldn't want to travel too far the first day. Three places have been suggested to us: Cambridge, Oxford and Stratford-upon-Avon. Although we will visit Bath, we'll save that until the trip back. So, fellow travellers - what city would you suggest? And after naming the city, would you suggest a B&B for that place? We're looking at spending between 60 - 80 GBP for a Double/ensuite/B&B (with a carpark of course). Obviously, with a car, our B&B wouldn't necessarily need to be right in town or by a rail station. We do enjoy being off the beaten path and getting to know the locals. Day 2 of our travels would see us head for York.

I've read Rick Steves who suggested going to Bath first, rent a car then go from there. After much thought, we're going to "do our own thing" and rent from Heathrow and head north. Oh well, guess I shall have to write my own book! As it has been many years since visiting Britain, I am looking forward to this trip and look forward to giving all at TAF an update on our journeys.

I do have other questions, but I'll ask those in separate entries as I don't want "lose the threads" with too many questions. Looking forward to your replies regarding our DAY 1 adventure! Thanks in advance!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First and last nights in Britain

P.S. When we were there the Tilted Wig did a very nice breakfast, too, in the pub.

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: First and last nights in Britain

Bath is well worth it, despite the crowds. Recommend Oxford over Cambridge, like others say cos it's out of your way, as is Winchester tho another good city. If you can, try and stop by York en route - lovely place.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: First and last nights in Britain

Don't know if Stratford is out of your way or not but my daughter and I just spent 2 nights at a lovely B&B there, Woodstock House, which has a small car park and we paid 60GBP per night for a twin ensuite.