We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Sensation shopping district map

Virginia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Street Sensation shopping district map

Forgot to mention this in my review. I ordered the map of various London shopping districts from the Streetsensation site (www.streetsensation.co.uk) before I left home. The unique thing about this is its a series of maps on regular sized paper in a clear cover with a slide off binding. You can remove just one page if that is all you want and easily take it with you. The front page says you are free to make copies and share it with friends. It shows you what stores are where all along the streets, where the cross streets are, locations of banks, pubs, etc.

It has a page that shows a photo of the street at the tube exit for that shopping area, tells you where to walk for what, etc. For each map page, a list of shops, pubs, etc., are grouped by category and listed on the back, with their symbols. You can tell, standing in Clarks on Oxford Street, how close you are to the nearest ATM, for example.

This helped tremendously the day I was on a solo errand to quickly find Soccer Scene on Oxford Street. I consulted the booklet, looked for the sports shops on Oxford Street, the hotel called the short list of stores until they found the items I needed at this store, and had them waiting for me at the register when I arrived. I could have been hopelessly turned around and lost a lot of time wandering when exiting Oxford Circus tube station without the map.

Not a substitute for your A-Z, mind you, but a nice enhancement if you plan to hit the shopping areas and want to plan your route. Also has a page showing locations of the markets, what they offer, days open, nearest tube, etc.

I don't recall what I paid for this, but it was not too expensive and very well worth it.

Hope it helps someone here!

Serena

Seattle
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Sensation shopping district map

Thanks Serena for your advise, I think I will check this out. How long did it take to get your map, I am leaving the US in a little over a week, do you think I'd have it before I left? Or do you think I might find something similar in the UK when we arrive?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Sensation shopping district map

Oooohh goodie, another map to study! Thanks for letting us know about this. I love the website but had no idea you could order a map.

Dubai
Level Contributor
610 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Sensation shopping district map

WoooooooooooW ...This is amazing ..i liked the webiee thanks 4 sharing it with us...

Virginia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Sensation shopping district map

Laurelcsun,

Can't recall exactly how long it took to get it, but I do think it may well have been over a week. I'd suggest you check the site and see if they have an email so you can ask about delivery time, and if you can get it in London. If you can't get it there, you may be able to pay online from the US and have them send it to you in London in care of your hotel. You would probably want to ask someone at the hotel if they can assist with this, to be sure the package catches up with you on arrival.

I learned about the site through this forum, and didn't realize you could order the map when I first visited it, either. Really helps you use your time wisely, and they update it constantly. It's filled with lots of local/insider tips, too. Well worth the cost.

Serena