We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

another lil local custom.. we should all know..

whats expected in restaurants in london.. in regards to tipping..

here (houston) its expected 15%, and trust me.. they remember your face. next time you come to the restaurant.. (i swear they must have your pics .. in a line-up in the kitchen..)

what goes for london...? and/or continental europe...?

thanks every1...

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,645 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

This subject gets regular airings here. Personaly I would say that 12 1/2 to 15% is the norm but beware - many places include a service charge in the final bill. You are in no way obligated to pay more and you are also entitled to refuse to pay if you think the service was unacceptable or if you would rather pay your server cash.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

There was an article in Saturday's Daily Mail about tipping. A reporter stayed in one New York for a day without tipping anyone and then move to another hotel and tipped generously.

France

No need to tip bar staff. Taxi around 10%. Porters 1e a bag. Restaurants already added to bill but 5% for waiters is OK

Spain

Never obligatory and some people find it insulting. In general 5-10%

Italy

Not expected but 10% is usual. Hotel staff will be surprised and grateful for a eruo or two.

Greece

Modest tip expected. 10% is considered generous

UK

Much the same, never expected but 10% or rounding bill is usual.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

Mr.C

Howdid the reporter fare?

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

If you ever come as far as Poland, you do not really need to tip if you are not particularly impressed by the service.

I always round up to the nearest ZL when I take a taxi and I always tip delivery guys unless they are nasty (like the one who pretended he did not have any change).

I only tip at a restaurant when I liked the service. Which is in 50% of cases only!

In Germany I add 10% or they'd stare I think.

Have a nice trip!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

I tried to avoid summarising a 3 page tabloid report into one paragraph, but here goes.

He only got dirty looks when he did not leave tips. Although, he lost a pen and notebook in one restaurant. He ask his waitress if it had been handed in and she just said "No" without looking. He asked another one a bit later and she found it behind the bar. After he moved, he got excelent service from everyone he had tipped.

He finished by saying "Why dont Americans realise how ghastly tipping has become. What strikes a chord in all of us is when someone goes out of their way to be helpful just for the sake of going out of their way to be helpful. If anyone should be tipped it is the cleaning ladies or the boys who do the dishes"

He recounted a story of of a man who was arrested and finger printed in New York, because he did not know that there is a mandatory 18% tip for parties of 6 or more and failed to leave enough.

The section I posted earlier was from a sub-report.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

do not tip as a general rule minor rounding to the nearest whole euro.

waiting is a respected profession and reasonably paid. tipping does not improve the service you get.

service compris is the general rule.

in the uk i never tip unless the service ahs been better than average. If ou want to give peaople money for nothing then tht is your prerogative but be aware that sums added to credit/debit cards rarely go direct to the waitstaf sums left on tables are ususlly trunked and then divided according to shares to be fair to the behind the scenes staff.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping...?? here it's 15%, any clues for London, europe...

Remember tipping in the UK is not like in the US.

you do not have to tip anyone.

If you are happy will the service OK but if not do not tip, do not feel that you have to do this.

When my husband and I visit London we do not tip everyone like you do in the US, most people in the UK are the same.

If we have had a good meal with good service then we do,

I would say 10% is fair because everything is more expensive over here and the exchange rate is not good for you coming from the US, so do not be over generous.