We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

detroit
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Our family of four (two children, 15 and 6) will be spending a week in London in June. This is our FIRST trip. Oldest son likes history. Husband and I would love to see the countryside, although, castles and Roman ruins would be fine too, since we don't have any of those back home:-) We would love to take ONE day trip. But wonderful forum friends, which ONE would you suggest?? I have a travel book that just describes day trips but would still LOVE to hear from you.

** I had actually come to TA today to ask this question and then saw a similar thread. Since that thread dealt with multiple day trips, I went ahead and started this thread. THANKS!

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Personally I'd say Windsor, if you only get out of London one day... this has to be my recomendation. Easy to get to, lots of lovely scenery and a great castle with plenty of other bits and pieces.

You might need to start counting votes though ..... bet you get a LOT of ideas.

Wherever you go have a great time

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Travelling by car, or train?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,169 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

I am going to say that they are all good but from your post how about The Astral Tour "Romans, Royals and Gargoyles" taking in Bath (Roman Baths), The Cotswolds (countryside) and Windsor (castle and history)

Runs Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays and costs 56GBP per person including all entrance fees. www.AstralTravels.co.uk

I am sure you will get lots of suggestions on this topic. Good luck!

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Really hard question, BUT with the love of history and the ages of your children, I would have to vote for an Oxford/Stratford/Warwick Castle tour with either Premium or Astral tours. I think it would have something for everyone!

Windsor Castle is also a great choice, but you could maybe fit that in on your own for just a morning or afternoon.

On the other hand, there is so much to see and do in London proper, you could save the day trips for your NEXT trip!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

You could consider Greenwich... actually less than a day. Lot's history, the boys might like clambering around on the Cutty Sark, if you go on a Sunday the markets there are in full swing. I bought a sterling silver ring at the arts and crafts market. I saw one little boy with a small African or Caribbean type drum his parents had gotten him there. Oh was he enjoying it!!!!!

AB

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Pls - not to knock any of these other terrific destinations mentioned by other TALFers. Also, I've been to Cambridge.. that was cool and very historical. You could go punting on the river Cam if the weather cooperates!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

I can highly recommend the Premium Tours trip to Warwick Castle, through the Cotswolds, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Oxford. They have very good guides. Warwick Castle has excellent tableaux on medieval and Victorian history and is considered by many as the best medieval castle in England.

Stratford is a lovely town for a lunch stop, with Shakespeare's birthplace and garden and the river, quite nice.

The drive through the edge of the Cotswolds is quite pretty with commentary continuing.

The introduction to Oxford is very good, including King's College Chapel (Oxford's medieval cathedral), champagne in the gorgeous dining hall (Harry Potter), and a walk through city center (beautiful buildings, history, etc.) It may alternatively include a stop at ?Alice's Garden, where the original Alice (of Wonderland fame) used to play.

I would think this particular day tour would appeal to the whole family. You might want to do a search on this site for Warwick Castle, Premium Tours, or Oxford for more details.

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Ok, no idea whether you're travelling by car, train, or organized tour, but good places to fulfill your requirements are Bath (Roman Baths, tons of history and architecture) and the Cotswolds (beautiful countryside and even more Roman ruins in and around Cirencester - Chedworth Roman Villa, museums in Cirencester).

Also, right under London is Kent and the Sussex's. Several castles, old homes (Knole House, Ightham Mote, Sissinghurst Castle Garden) - see National Trust and English Heritage for more sites. Beautiful countryside (Kent) and ocean views (Seven Sisters and the South Downs Way near Eastbourne, Beachy Head), plus the pier at Eastbourne your kids might like.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

www.english-heritage.org.uk/default.asp

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Also, Lullingstone Roman Villa in Dartford, Kent to help meet that Roman ruin requirement in Kent.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you could ONLY take ONE DAY TRIP - which one would it be?

Dover

Castle with history from the Romans to WW2. Roman museum, white cliffs countryside. You could do it all by train from London, or with an organised tour which takes in Caterbury and it's cathedral.