We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

half day walking tour

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
half day walking tour

Hello! We will be staying in the Knightsbridge area and arriving around noon on a Saturday. Can anyone provide a walking tour for a half a day going in any direction? We love to walk. Is it too far to walk from there to the Portobello Road antiques market? Thank you!

MB

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: half day walking tour

Portobello Road is too far to walk from Knightsbridge. One suggestion is to take the London Walk @ 2:00pm - "Little Venice" which starts at Warwick Ave. tube. The walk itself is only about 2 hrs., but you could continue down the Regent's Canal towpath all the way to Camden market. What time of year are you going?

See www.walks.com for other walking tours on Saturdays.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: half day walking tour

Hello! Thanks for your reply. We are going to be there for just two days at the end of June. I really want to go to the market on Saturday. We may hike it there through the park. Probably have to catch a ride back, though. It will be our first trip and we are excited. Have you been to London lots of times?

MB

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: half day walking tour

The walk is less than 4 km or 2.5 miles. It would be a very nice walk through Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: half day walking tour

Thanks, Ron. Unless the weather is horrible, I think that is what we will do.

MB

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: half day walking tour

Hi MollyB,

Just got back from my 6th trip! I have found that if I cut through a park to get to a destination, I end up stopping several times because of all the wonderful distractions - - sometimes never making it to my original destination!

Keep in mind that the parks are much bigger than they appear on the maps, and it takes more time to walk through than you would think. I always underestimate and sometimes wish I had a golf cart for the sake of time & my aching feet!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: half day walking tour

It is hard to understand why offtolondon is trying to discourage this walk.

If you lack the self-discipline to not get distracted walking through the parks, you can avoid them by walking along Kensington High Street and Kensington Church Street.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: half day walking tour

Not trying to discourage at all, just telling it like it is. Many people may not realize that "cutting through the park" in London is not the same as at home. It takes time, even if you walk briskly and never stop.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: half day walking tour

Thanks for the thoughtful consideration you have given to my question. Perhaps the thing to do would be to walk the path along the street and if anyone in our party has had enough, we could catch a cab the rest of the way. I am thinking I should probably have selected a hotel closer to Portobello Road. It took me so long to select one in the Knightsbridge area, I would hate to start all over again!

Thanks again,

MB