We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In a pickle

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Topic
In a pickle

Years ago, I attended a cultural evening and lecture given by and English friend. Everything was great until she broke out the chutneys on water crackers to taste test. I've never run faster for a glass of water! I wondered if I needed to re-think my love of England.

Fast forward to the first trip my husband and I took to England. After ordering tea and sandwiches in a tearoom, the waitress asked if my husband wanted "pickle" on his sandwich. Imagining a nice crisp, juicy dill, he of course said yes. Instead, he got a fish sandwich with a brown, textured sauce. When he enquired, he was told that he got what he ordered - pickle. That was our intro to Branston Pickle!

Are chutneys, Branston Pickle, etc. something that everyone loves? I'm assuming that they're an acquired taste that one just grows up with in the UK. I adore all other British cuisine, especially the simple stuff (steak and ale pie, fish and chips, anything stilton, the desserts - yum!). Would you kindly help me understand this?

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: In a pickle

Hi C.A. The Lamb pub serves Branstonn Pickle with it's ploughmans lunch. I like it, but only buried in the sandwich. Don't know that I would like it with just crackers either. Cheers, Pub

Colorado
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: In a pickle

Hi Pub. Don't know that I had the Branston originally w/the crackers; seems like those that I tried were tomato based. My husband is the one who ended up with the Branston on his sandwich and his reaction was the same as mine had been with the other chutneys. I've always wanted to try a ploughmans, but always seem to end up ordering something else! Will make a special point to try it this time. How is that September trip shaping up ;-) ?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: In a pickle

All this talk of pickle, triggered a memory. If anyone has flown Virgin Atlantic, then you might know what I'm talking about. They always serve a ploughman's lunch on the flight back to the States. My favorite choice is the ham & cheese sandwich because it has this v. delectable spread on it. Is this "pickle" or chutney? It's unlike anything I've ever tasted here at home.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: In a pickle

I found it! Finally tracked down a bottle of Branston pickle relish and tried to recreate the Virgin Atlantic ploughman's lunch. Used turkey instead of ham but it tastes v. near to the real thing. The only thing that's different is there's big chunks of pickle (tastes like beet) which I don't remember being on the sandwich on the plane.

Once again, this forum has been so informative, thanks!