We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
5 posts
Save Topic
American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

Thought I'd bring a few travelers checks and will use them in both England and another country I'll be traveling to following my stay in London. Does anyone know if it is easier to cash American Express or VISA brand travelers checks--or does it matter at all? Do all banks in the U.K. accept both? Thanks!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

Don't know about traveller's checks. I always use ATM cards when I travel, you get a much better excange rate with them than with Tchecks and it's also safer.

There are some banks which have agreements with European banks whereby you don;t pay any charges if you use their ATMs.

Bank of America is one that has agreements in Europe.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

I agree with Anemone ATM's are the way to go. USAA Federal Savings Bank is a great one also. In fact, if you end up having to access another banks ATM - USAA will refund the ATM fee back to your account.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

I've never used either, but accompanied a friend on her journeys to get them cashed. It seemed terribly inconvenient and after the exchange rates and fees, she wound-up paying way more than had she simply used a credit card, or exchanged $$ into ���� somewhere that doesn't charge a transaction fee (such as a Post Office.)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

Hi NTF - one of the TALF bankers here.

You say you'll use them "in both England and another country". So I assume you are thinking of bringing US Dollar travellers checks. Am I right?

Both Visa and American Express will be equally acceptabel to a UK bank and you will not ahve any problems exchaging either for cash in a bank. But you will be charged a commission fee (or else the bank will give you a lower excahneg rate if theya dverise a "commsiison free" service.

Many find using a debit card in an ATM gives a better deal. One of the best is Barclays in the UK and Bank of America have reciprocal arrnangements = no ATM fees.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

Sorry NTF, I'll edit and re-post this as I'm seem to be typing in gibberish tonight:

You say you'll use them "in both England and another country". So I assume you are thinking of bringing US Dollar travellers checks. Am I right?

Both Visa and American Express will be equally acceptable to a UK bank and you will not have any problems exchanging either for cash in a bank. But you will be charged a commission fee (or else the bank will give you a lower exchange rate if they advertise a "commission free" service.

Many find using a debit card in an ATM gives a better deal. One of the best is Barclays in the UK and Bank of America have reciprocal arrnangements = no ATM fees.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Vermont
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

New Travel Family here. Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm leaving next week for U.K & Iceland and am down to the final details--the money! Banks here charge an enormous fee to get GBPs ahead of time (so I have some in my pocket when I arrive). Am planning to use ATMs also but needed to ask the travelers check question. Thanks again to all.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
821 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Express or VISA Travelers Checks

I haven't used travelers checks for years - too much of a hassle looking for a bank to cash them - extra fees etc. Just use your ATM card - they are everywhere - at the airport as well.