We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

les miserables @ queens theatre

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
u.s.a.
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
les miserables @ queens theatre

does anyone know what the dress code is? thank you.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

It's pretty much anything goes these days. But, if you have the opportunity to do so, it's always nice to dress smart for the theatre. Somehow it doesn't seem as special when you're wearing jeans, although you won't be denied entrance if you are dressed down.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

We went in our walk around clothes. It's no big deal. I didn't think much of the show either. I found out I'm not a theatre and or musical guy. Give me the movie any day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

As with Pub just regular walking around clothes. I want to be comfortable and a suit and tie aren't comfortable.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
964 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

You'll see a mix with most in "snappy casual" dress, though jeans and shorts won't keep you out, and some still dress up for a night on the town.

I usually agree with Pub-7's posts, but as my screen name implies, I have to take exception on his thoughts concerning Les Mis. It's not advertised as the "world's most popular musical" without a reason (yes, bigger box office worldwide than Cats, Phantom, etc., when longevity is considered). Though there have been over a dozen movie versions, they all fall horribly short of the musical and Hugo's novel, especially the Liam Neeson/Claire Danes version which stopped partway through and completely changed the inspirational message of the story. Assuming they're still getting the right people for the parts, the music and plot can't miss, though it helps to know some of the background before you.

Check out www.theatremonkey.com for seating advice.

USA
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

I saw it in its second week at the Palace back in 85'

What a great memory. Took my whole family back three years ago.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

I've seen Les Miz 4 times and each time I'm moved by the power of the message. What an awesome play! I'll have to go see it again. I'll take a live perfomance over a movie as well. I love London theatre.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

LesMizRuiz, I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't like musicals. The entire dialogue being sung didn't make it with me either. Like Bob said, the message is powerful and it is a fantastic story. Just give me the movie versions. Respectfully, Pub

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
964 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

Pub, although I always enjoy hearing how others love Les Mis, it would be unreasonable of me to think everyone would, despite its popularity. So many other wonderful things in London to still see, and I'm sure we'd agree on many of them.

When I saw Les Mis at the Palace on Shaftesbury two years ago, I did experience a communication gap. An older couple from Spain kindly asked me to explain to them what was happening. Unfortunately, trying to explain a French tale sung with English accents in poor Spanish mixed with American vocabulary proved difficult. About the only thing we confirmed durig intermission was that Barcelona hosted the Summer Olympics in recent years. However, we did share a lot of laughter and smiles in our attempts to communicate. Fun memory for me--a natural aside for me, as I always find Les Mis to be life affirming and inspiring.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

LesMiZ, interesting story! I wish I could have enjoyed it more but I would have rather been out walking around. It did inspire me to watch the movie as soon as we got home! Cheers, Pub

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
964 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: les miserables @ queens theatre

After reading my last post again, I thought I should clarify that it was my "poor Spanish mixed with American vocabulary," not the Les Mis cast. :-) Their English was crystal clear to English-speaking audience members.