We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

DrH
Atlanta
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

I've found an almost reasonable airfare into Bristol for the last weekend in August. I want to go to London, but the fares from the States are through the roof!

How does one get between Bristol airport and downtown London (Victoria, etc)? What does a return ticket cost? How frequently is the transport? Is there any transport directly from the airport into London? Thoughts on train vs coach? Advanced reservations? And just how advanced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DrH

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

Hi DrH, if I were you get the train to Victoria or Kings Cross somewhere liek that, don't get a coach it will take you about 4 hours!!! the trains will run about every hour or so to London & are normally about £40 return, so not too bad in price! If i were you I would book in advance to guarantee a seat, however it's not a must as a Bristol to London service won't be that busy anyway!!

let me know how you get on!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

Don't know about the airport, but coaches from central Bristol to Victoria coach station in London leave every hour and take only 2 hours 40 minutes. (It might take you an hour to get from Heathrow to Victoria.)

It's an easy journey straight down the M4 motorway (freeway).

The normal cost of a return ticket is about 26 pounds but you can often get 'funfare' tickets for about half that. Go to this site:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

and see if you can get any bargains for that particular day.

By the way, Bristol is a large city with a lot of attractions, I'd suggest asking the Bristol forum if there is anything special happening on that particular weekend,

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

The train journey involves a change at Bristol Temple Meads and will take around 2 1/2 hours to reach London Paddington. Fares can vary wildly depending on day of the week and time of day but it will be cheaper to book as soon as possible especially as there is a Bank Holiday at the end of August. Two single tickets will probably work out cheaper than a round trip (we say return) but this may commit you to a particular train which could be a problem on your arrival if your flight is delayed.

Play around at www.thetrainline.com to what is what.

The coach will almost certainly be cheaper (£33 for a standard return) but will take up to 4 hours and also involve a change in Bristol. The coach arrives at Victoria in central London.

More at www.nationalexpress.com

Hope that helps.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

Bit puzzled by that response, as the train from Bristol goes into Paddington Station, and then onto your destination (which ever part of central London you wanted) by tube. You would have to get from the airport to Bristol Parkway railway station(there are buses) . I suggest you look on the Bristol Airport site.

There are also bus connections to Bristol Bus Station then a coach from there directly into Victoria (or Gloucester Road, if that is better for you). The time from Bristol is between 2 1/2 and 3 hours and there are some very cheap fares. The only direct one from Bristol Airport goes in the middle of the night. See nationalexpress.com

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

My puzzlement at the response, by the way, refers to the first answer - we were all writing at once!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

"Bristol Airport is served by the Bristol International Flyer. Travel with National Express from anywhere in the UK to Bristol Bus Station, where you can connect to this service.

The Bristol International Flyer operates every twenty minutes throughout the day, from 05:00 until 23:40."

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

whya are you puzzled by my response Valise??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

I too was puzzled at the suggestion to get a train from Bristol to 'Victoria or Kings Cross' as trains from Bristol Temple Meads operate to Paddington, as opposed to other mainline stations.

With that being the last Bank Holiday weekend of the summer, the M4 could be pokey and slow in places, depending on at what time of day you'll travel. If you can nab a good fare on the train, it might be less of a headache than the coach journey.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

You can get a coach (the Bristol International Flyer *, mentioned above) to Bristol Temple Meads, they run every 20 mins, takes about 30 mins and costs about £7.50 (or did last year).

Then get a train to Paddington, takes about 90 minutes. If you book early on the 'net and travel out of the rush hour you can get good rates - my son just got a return to Paddo for £10.50.

Once at Paddo the world (well, London) is at your feet.

For some ridiculous reason the owners of Bristol Airport felt the need to change the name to Bristol International Airport, but locals still refer to it as Lulsgate, the village where it is situated. It was founded as a WWII RAF base to train flyers in bad weather flying - it has the second worst fog record of any airport in the UK, especially in the Autumn, so be prepared for possible delays.......

10. Re: Train or Coach Between London and Bristol Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 06, 2009