We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilot's wife tagging along

Grand Isle, VT
8 posts
Save Topic
Pilot's wife tagging along

Hey folks

My husband is a pilot who has a 24-hour layover in London in a couple of weeks. I've never been there, so I thought I'd tag along. We'll have one day and evening there... We're not "gotta see everything" people, just want to "experience" some of London's uniqueness... What would you do if you had one day there?

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilot's wife tagging along

What day of the week will it be?

Grand Isle, VT
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilot's wife tagging along

We arrive on the red-eye from the States first thing Friday morning.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilot's wife tagging along

Unless it's a Sunday when Harrods is closed, some churches are shut for services and the theatre is dark, you have the full choice.

Personally I would suggest simple things like wandering by the river and/or a park such as St James' or around some of our famous buildings. Maybe a river cruise and a "flight" on the London Eye if that is not to much of a busman's holiday for your husband!

A nice romantic meal or visit to the theatre would cap off the day.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilot's wife tagging along

Maybe visit Westminster (including views from Westminster Bridge) for Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey; St James' Park (plus The Mall and Buckingham Palace); then work up through Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square for dinner in Soho or Covent Garden, then theatre/Ronnie Scott's jazz club.

Grand Isle, VT
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilot's wife tagging along

Thanks... both of you mention the theatre...I found a list of shows playing that day. Hmm...how do I ask this without sounding crass... umm... Is the theater in London all it's made out to be? We've seen a couple of shows on Broadway and in Boston and really enjoyed them...same experience in London or different somehow?

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pilot's wife tagging along

Picadilly Circle (West End, Shaftesbury, etc.) is fun just to check out all of the lights and marquees. The theatres are rich with tradition. Some (certainly not all) may lack the amenities of Broadway venues, but the productions can be excellent. Read the reviews just to be sure. I loved seeing Les Mis in London as much or more than seeing its Broadway tour stops in Chicago and Louisville.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pilot's wife tagging along

Some of the theatres are old with seats with poor leg room but the quality (acting and production wise) is the best in the world IMHO.

For the best site for reviews and to find the best seats look at www.theatremonkey.com