We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Questions: Crime and Customs

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Questions: Crime and Customs

We are leaving tomorrow!

A few questions, Hubby is worried about London crime, but don't you think if we stay where there are a lot of people and avoid going out really late by ourselves that we will OK? We will keep our $/passports in a waist type belt under clothes that you cannot tell we are wearing but he is worried about digital camera/muggings. The thing is we lived in downtown Chicago for 4 years and I grew up visiting NYC often so we are used to the city but London has a high crime rate, any other tips for us?

On the way home we transfer through Dulles, will we go through customs there or when we get to Atlanta, our final destination? Assuming Atlanta since we will just be switching flights in DC.

Well off to finish packing, those space-saving airtight bags are awesome I can pack so much now thanks to those!! 4 Sweaters taking up the space of one.

We'll report when we get back!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,308 Reviews
from $127.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
479 Reviews
from $106.40*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,100 Reviews
from $135.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
468 Reviews
from $337.80*
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Last Minute Questions: Crime and Customs

Never had a problem in London as well. The only time we really did was on a double decker bus (only time we went on one) two teenage punks were pounding on the back of our seat. This kind of surprised me as I'm a bodybuilder 250lbs. After a couple of warnings and when it didn't stop, I calmly got up, leaned over them and threatened to break their necks. They still maintained innocence which proves that kids everywhere have problems with the truth. We got up and got of the bus at the next stop. Other than that as I said never a problem. Pub

Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Last Minute Questions: Crime and Customs

i would exercise a little caution in carrying my passport with me in london. Thee is no requirement to do so and i cant se why you would. If the worst did happen that is the one thing that can be a bugger to replace.

London is very safe you get the normal cscma artists and oppertunist thieves. you just need to be aware and reasonably cautious.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Last Minute Questions: Crime and Customs

You won't need you passport for everyday mooching around town, so leave it in the hotel safe - carrying round a photocopy seems a smart move.

Identity theft is a popular UK pastime, & as you can imagine a US passport would find much favour, so keep it secure.

Besides, it'll be such a pain to get a replacement sorted out - you're on holiday !