We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

Page 123 of this carry-with-you London atlas ("the definitive London atlas") shows a footbridge on the west side of the Cannon Street rail bridge, labeled Jubilee Footbridge.

On page 120 it calls the Golden Jubilee Footbridges the Hungerford Footbridges. (I once myself saw a sign there that called them that; but that funky painted sign has been replaced with an engraved plaque.)

I have never been aware of a footbridge alongside the Cannon Street rail bridge. It doesn't show up on any of my other maps. Did I miss it?

Can you help me sort this out?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

Looks like it might have the wrong train station. The Jubilee footbridge which was previously the Hungerford footbridge crosses the Thames either side of the railway bridge that goes into Charing Cross station. There is no footbridge crossing the Thames by Cannon Street railway bridge.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

The Hungerford foot bridge is on Hungerford bridge which has as it's station Charing Cross.

Cnnon st is further down the Thames and from what I csn see on my maps there is no foot bridge there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

It was planned that a Jubilee footbridge would be built here but the Hungerford/Jubilee Bridge was built first. There's more about it at london.openguides.org/index.cgi…

Quite why Phillips put a bridge that hadn't been built on their map I don't know.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

Thanks for the information, everyone.

Usually at least the opening date is noted when a bridge that is under construction/not built yet is shown on a map. The one in Philip's atlas didn't have an opening date. That's why I thought I may just have missed it in all my many trips across all the bridges of London.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

KNRB, thanks for the link to Open Guide. What an interesting site, and what an unusual bit of trivia about these bridges. Thank you.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

KNRB

Great site. I loved the page about sandwich shops. london.openguides.org/index.cgi… There seems to be some strange love of Pret a Manger on this site and their review seems much more in line with my thoughts. I was surprised to read that they are 1/3 owned by McDonnalds.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

I understood that Pret had been brought/bought in to private ownership from McD by Julian Metcalfe (!) et al.

I was amazed when the initial buy out took place.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

Fascinating Mapping Fact #307

Some map publishers have purposely introduce errors into their maps to protect their copyright. If some other map publisher were to copy the map and brand it as their own, then the mistake would be strong evidence that it was copied.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

One of the A-Z's deliberate errors - made for the reasons Jack said - is just near my home. I have to alter the map by hand when I photocopy it for party invitations etc. QUITE irritating.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there an error in Philip's Mini Atlas London?

<<Fascinating Mapping Fact #307>>

This doesn't make sense. To be effective it would have to have an error on every page. Do they think they're infallible? So they have to *add* errors? Are you pulling my leg?

I think the fact that a bridge was planned for that site makes more sense.