We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funny London Memories!

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sooner Nation
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Funny London Memories!

Another post on here, caused me to have a London memory that made me laugh out loud.

I thought it would be fun to share some of our lighter memories of London.

When my daughter was 5 we went to London for the first time. One day while the rest of the family went shopping, my dad took my daughter to feed the pigeons in Trafalgar Square (a no-no now I know!). When they got home that evening, I couldn't believe how filthy and messy she was, but when we watched back the video of her day, I saw why.....

There was about 20 minutes of her chasing the birds, and swinging on the bird poop covered rails, then my dad decides to get her a bag of bread to feed the birds. As you can imagine, once the sack was opened, the birds were her new best friends. The video goes on with her feeding them and then all of a sudden, a pigeon lands right on the top of her head. After the initial thought of "Ewww lice", I thought "Awww, how cute", but then, she held an entire slice of bread up for the pigeon on her head, and all of a sudden, a swarm of about 15 pigeons all fly up to her little head and she starts running around yelling with this circle of birds on her head all flapping around! The next thing you see is the camera lowered, and my dad chasing after this little running body with a swarm of pigeons instead of a head yelling, "Drop the bread sweetheart! Just drop the bread!"

When we want a good laugh we still watch the video. Every Sunday night, while watching America's Funniest Home Videos, my daughter says we should send her London tape in. =)

Sooner Nation
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Funny London Memories!

What great stories and memories!!!

I actually went home and watched our video last night and it was still too funny!

bob007 ~ That happened to us in London too. We were in a pub, and this slightly intoxicated gentleman came up to me and asked where I was from. I said Oklahoma, and he said, "Oh, I am so sorry".

Devon
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Funny London Memories!

When my husband and I visited London last year no one there could understand a word he said, my husband is Devon born and bred whilst I am a Cambridge girl. I think my accent must be closer to the London one than my husbands as I had to translate everytime we got into a taxi or went into a pub as people just stared at him with a look of confusion. Also we didnt realise until after being in London for 2 days that leaning forward and shouting your destination at the taxi driver is not the way to do it, only on our way back to the station in a taxi did the driver tell us that you have to sit back in your seat as thats where the speakers are that the driver hears you through, we felt very stupid!!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Funny London Memories!

Morjem, your story is a hoot! You had me laughing out loud. You should send it to AFV. "just drop the bread..." hoo.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Funny London Memories!

I love the pigeon story...cant you get that put on the internet and show us all!!

I guess my funniest london thing was on a train packed full of commuters.

I had my newborn son in a front carrier and my daughter natalie was 4. She wasnt over confident about wiping herself after a no2 and after a day out in london she needed to go. Luckily there was a loo on that carriage and i was about 5 rows down, I didnt think we would all fit in the loo with the baby on my front etc so asked her to go and i would watch the door from my seat and yell if anyone tried to go in and that she was a big girl now and I am sure she would manage wiping herself etc.

few mins later she came out the loo, knickers round her ankles saying mum i wiped my own bottom is it clean and turned round and showed the whole carriage!!...not too sure who was more red faced the commuters or me, you could tell who the fathers as they were the ones who chuckled and kind of muttered thank god it wasnt me!!

she is 16 now and we never ever let her forget poor kid!

Moscow
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Funny London Memories!

Pinkfluffykitten's posting reminds me of an aspect that is often avoided in talking about things funny on foreign travels, but actually comes above everything else on everyone's mind��� well, at least at the time of need. And the thing I mean, of course, is public toilets abroad with their unfamiliar apparatus - something that we often approach with both urgency and trepidation. I, for one, make a point of reconnoitering such facilities in advance, as a kind of excursion, so as to avoid any unwelcome surprise later. I still remember, for example, my shock at the sight of gurgling water suddenly surging up the bowl after one such innocuous test done at a US dormitory as an exchange student more than twenty years ago ��� for a moment I was afraid I did something wrong and was now going to flood the entire place. The terror was due to similar equipment in Russia at the time always sending the water crashing down rather than welling up. I have since been paying wary attention to such contraptions, sinks and taps featuring prominently in this hands-on experimenting. And I should tell you this - there must be a worldwide conspiracy against globetrotters in this area, which is still full of traps and pitfalls even for the experienced traveler.;))))

I have spent, for instance, some very amusing time down in a busy public toilet at Berlin's Reichstag watching even the hi-tech-minded Japanese completely at a loss about the technical wizardry used there to let you wash your hands. There was absolutely nothing there in the sink except for the pipe ��� without a faucet. So people would start making passes all over the basin with their hands (in anticipation of some infra-red pickup giving the command for the water to run), or just wait for the stream of water to resume after some expected computer-programmed delay, or attempt - in vain - to twist the pipe, or knock on the bowl in frustration. The trick, however, consisted in stepping on a special button which was on the floor! )))))) I had never been thanked as profusely in my life as when I shared that knowledge with the needy that day.)))

If you think that London makes any exception to this universal game, you should go to the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square. The pipes protruding over the sinks there are devoid of any valves / taps either. People nowadays, however, know enough to take this in their stride: without batting an eyelid, they proceed to pressing the button on the parallel tube that is just an inch or two away. The water flow, however, is operated instead by an infra-red sensor, while the button is merely the release for liquid soap which is very much like whipped cream or a frothing agent. This explains why, upon stepping into the WC not far from the info desk at the Gallery, you are greeted by a row of sinks all of which are capped by big mountains of white bubbly foam! ))) Another telltale sign that I am not alone in struggling with foreign technical appliances. ))))

PS. The weirdest toilet I have ever seen was in Amsterdam ��� obviously intended for male punters, it was in the middle of a side street and was very basic, consisting solely of a two-side screen to be made into a cubicle apparently by your own back and shoulders. In contrast, the one for the handicapped on a train from London to Canterbury proved very user-considerate - worthy technologically of a space center, as well as unusually spacious.