We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Types of money

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Types of money

I am a first time visitor to London, and was wondering about how the money works. I know that you use British Pounds Sterling. Is this paper money? Are there also coins? Are they clearly marked? I know in the US, we have several types of coins in varying denominations, and was wondering if that is how it is with Pounds Sterling. Thanks!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
39,005 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Types of money

I find our notes and coins easier than in the US where all the notes are the sime size and colour. The one thing you will find is that we are more of a coin culture and that you WILL end up with pocketfulls of loose change!

Okay, your cut out and keep guide to British money!

NOTES -

5GBP - Greeny Blue

10GBP - Tan

20GBP - Lilac

50GBP - Can't remember, so long since I last saw one!

COINS -

1 pence

2 Pence

5 Pence

10 Pence

20 Pence

50 Pence

One Pound

Two Pound

They are all different sizes and sometimes shapes. The 50 pence is bigger than the one pound coin and the 10 pence is bigger than the 20.

Hope that helps.

herts england
Level Contributor
95 posts
2. Re: Types of money

We have coins as follows, 1p (penny) 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, ��1 and ��2.

Notes are ��5, ��10, ��20 and ��50.

Bank of Scotland issues a ��100 note.

There are 100 pennies in 1 pound (��)

Not sure of the exchange rate though!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
52,856 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Types of money

Notes in common use are 5, 10, 20 and 50GBP denominations. Coins of the realm are 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, and 1 and 2 pound coins. The 50p and 20p bits have a way cool shape, and the tiny size of a pound coin belies its value (over 2.25$CDN!). The two pound coins are very pretty, hard to miss, as they are bi-coloured.

herts england
Level Contributor
95 posts
4. Re: Types of money

Got some funny signs when I posted that so

�� = GBP

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
5. Re: Types of money

Right here goes:

There are a 100 pence (100p) to the pound.

The coins are 1p, 2p, 5p 10p, 20p, 50p, 1 pound and 2 pounds. The 1p and 2p are bronze in colour, the 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p are silver and the 1 pound and 2 pound coins are gold.

Notes come in 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 20 pounds and 50 pounds and unlike the US come in different colours and are different sizes (5 pound being the smallest size and 50 pound the biggest).

All of the coins and notes are all clearly marked with their value.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
52,856 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Types of money

Adam - fifty quid notes are greeny grey (around HM) and more orangey-red elsewhere - the only reason I know is I was given one as a going away pressy.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Types of money

WOW!! Thank you all for the fast replies! I think I understand the money thing now. What an adventure this is going to be!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Types of money

wimbledontennis.co.uk/british_currency.htm

Unfortunately the site does not show the differences in size.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
9. Re: Types of money

This page from Wikipedia has pictures of all the money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_coinage

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Types of money

Try to avoid 50 pound notes,you often have to wait for the cashier to call over the supervisor to check they are real.

ATMs give out 20's and 10's as a rule

It happens to us when we travel too - I got my first half dollar on my recent trip to US, have never seen one before, then my son got one the next day, thought I was getting to grips with all of your coins and then find out there is another!