We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Highlands of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Hello,

I've been reading so many posts the last few weeks but have never seen much on this area except to mention the huge street market there. My husband and I are going to London in a few weeks from Inverness, Scotland where we live and we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express at Chingford. I've been to and visited London many times coming over from America since 1988 and have always stayed around the Belgrave area (easier with my kids along) but now it's just him & I and figured it will be nicer to be away from all the hustle and bustle of city life so I picked Chingford. Plus I got a really good deal at ��39.00 a night for a family room with continental breakfast. Being American and staying at Holiday Inns on both sides of the pond I have never been disappointed. Figure what I save in hotel costs will pay for the Zone 1-3 tube/bus 7 day pass and with all my researching of hotels I couldn't find anything decent for less than 50-70 quid a night. Looking at a map of the hotel I see there is a superstore (name?) close by and was wondering if any of you have been to or live in this area and can tell me a bit about it? Would it be better to take a taxi to the hotel from Walthamstow Central or is there a bus that goes right by it? Thanks in advance for any help. Another quick question while I'm thinking of it...why is London called "The Smoke?"

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

William Morris Gallery

http://www.lbwf.gov.uk/wmg/home.htm

West Country UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

I wouldnt worry too much about the class of people in Chingford.......it's a step up from Inverness!!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

There is a stall in the market that sells the loveliest, biggest,most yummy, cream filled scones I have ever eaten.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... cream filled scones.....which end? Toward Hoe Street or St James's Street?

Highlands of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Thanks for the William Morris website info EmParr, just checked it out and it looks like a good place to see the history of these great designs and how interesting his life must have been. I'm curious as well as TravellerPlus as to where I can find some of those yummy cream filled scones anemone? By Hoe Street or St. James Street? By the way is there a laundrymat in Walthamstow? I know they are few and far between here in Scotland. Thanks bunches.......

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

TPlus, I wish I could remember where those scones were, but thn I guess the looking will make the finding that more rewarding.

When are you going?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

It's all right if you don't recall, the walk will help me burn off the calories I intend to consume.

I am in Norway right now, and will go to Greenland and Iceland next week, then London on the 8th.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Walthamstow is E17 so will have more launderettes than E20. No one owns a washing machine in the eastend.

Highlands of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Thanks for the advise Mr C on the laundrymats. Makes sense though about nobody having a washing machine in the E17/E20 area. Whatever would Dot or Pauline do if everybody did their own laundry?

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Another thing to see if you're going to be in Chingford, is Queen Eliz. I's Hunting Lodge, on Ranger's Rd. What were open galleries to shoot from in her time, have been walled in, but you can still see where they were. The interior is furnished and there are interesting displays.