We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Highlands of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Hello,

I've been reading so many posts the last few weeks but have never seen much on this area except to mention the huge street market there. My husband and I are going to London in a few weeks from Inverness, Scotland where we live and we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express at Chingford. I've been to and visited London many times coming over from America since 1988 and have always stayed around the Belgrave area (easier with my kids along) but now it's just him & I and figured it will be nicer to be away from all the hustle and bustle of city life so I picked Chingford. Plus I got a really good deal at ��39.00 a night for a family room with continental breakfast. Being American and staying at Holiday Inns on both sides of the pond I have never been disappointed. Figure what I save in hotel costs will pay for the Zone 1-3 tube/bus 7 day pass and with all my researching of hotels I couldn't find anything decent for less than 50-70 quid a night. Looking at a map of the hotel I see there is a superstore (name?) close by and was wondering if any of you have been to or live in this area and can tell me a bit about it? Would it be better to take a taxi to the hotel from Walthamstow Central or is there a bus that goes right by it? Thanks in advance for any help. Another quick question while I'm thinking of it...why is London called "The Smoke?"

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,597 Reviews
from $119.50*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from $107.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from $109.90*
$122.10
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Walthamstow is a fine neighbourhood, with working class and middle class people living there, a little sorry to have to deal with the overground or Victoria line, but happy not to be living in zone 4 or having to pay central London prices (at least I was, both of the latter). There's not much to do in the evenings, unless you want to go to the dogs at the Walthamstow Race Track, but for less than 40 quid, why not have a quiet evening in. Walthamstow Village has a few more upmarket pubs, but it's all still the same area, no matter what pretensions they have.

I think the superstore nearby is a Morrison's. There's a nice little shopping centre at the tube, too, with a Boots and a good Ottakar's books. There are likely buses from Walthamstow Central or Blackhorse Road tubes, but it's a good haul, so take a taxi if you have bags. It's probably 15 minutes by bus to Walthamstow Central - are you sure this isn't too far? Bus service is likely to be limited in the evenings, too.

London is called the Smoke because of the fabulously awful air quality, when burning coal and wood were common. The Clean Air Act of 1956 came about because of one exceptionally bad pea-souper, when a number of people died due to respiratory complaint from the pollutants in the air. It's good to know things have improved so much - !

Have a good trip down south.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Walthamstow Avenue is the North Circular Road, Londons inner ring road. It is a very busy road. I am sure this building used to be an office block. I think it was a dairy (no cows, just milk distribution).

One bus route passes the door, but there are plenty running in the next road. All except one running to Walthamstow Station (and Market). There is also a night bus between Walthamstow and Chingford.

You will be near Walthamstow Greyhound track - Evening meetings: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Lunchtime meetings Monday and Friday.

Also nearby is the William Morris Gallery - Victoria Fabric Design.

You can also take the 97 bus north to Chingford (the hotel is in Chingford Mount) and Epping Forrest and the Queen Elizabeth Hunting Lodge.

Walthamstow is mixed race working class area, the area moves up in class as you head north. Walthamstow is not an area I would walk round late a night without being particularly careful.

Highlands of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Thanks very much for your help Travellerplus & Mr. Cellophane I figured we'd be back to the hotel by 9 p.m. so I won't worry too much about safety at night. Neither one of us are into pub's or partying until the wee hours of the morning, it's much more enjoyable to kick back after a hard day of hoofin it around London. Nice to know there is a Morrisons grocery store close by (still pretty much called Safeway here in Scotland) The bus sounds good for after arriving into Walthamstow Central, we're taking the train down and will arrive in the evening to Kings Cross so it's not to far a journey on the Victoria Line. My husband and I are both pretty used to traveling so I don't mind a bit of inconvenience lugging our suitcases on a bus. Not interested in dog racing, I've seen too many programs on the treatment of those poor dogs to ever enjoy watching them race. The William Morris Gallery sounds interesting probably because I worked in a fabric shop here until my bosses retired last year and she was mad about Liberty & William Morris stuff. Hubby wouldn't agree though I'm sure haha. I'll print out your reply's and bring them with me as a reference. Nice to know what "The Smoke" means as well, as I was born and raised in Southern California I know all too well the meaning of good air quality. I'm glad Walthamstow sounds like a nice area, I was taking my chances going outside of London city center instead of staying by Victoria Station as I have done in the past. Nobody has written any reviews on this hotel but I'm sure it will be like all the others and I will give it a review when we get back in case someone else could use the advise. Thanks again!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Have you checked the distances of the nearest train stations?

According to thier own website Chingford station is 4 miles and Walthamstow station is 2 miles away.

That's quite a trek each day there and back.

Isn't there one nearer a station that you can get a good rate for?

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

The William Morris gallery is in a charming hoouse, where I think WM lived as a young man/child. he certainly had early associations with area.

If you are in the area, with a WM interest, then it's worth a detour.

The local town hall is a fine civic building - if you are into Art Deco architecture.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

I just checked the Brentcross one and they are nearer the station and supply a free shuttle bus there and back!

The rates seem similar to the Chingford one too.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

My ex hus talked about going down the dogs when we lived in Walthamstow (near Blackhorse Road tube), but I didn't approve of it myself, so.....

I liked living there, it was nicer than Dagenham, but somehow I missed the WM Gallery - must do that on this trip.

If it were a toss up between Walthamstow and Brent Cross, I'd take E17, to be completely honest, even with the bus/tube trips.

Highlands of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

I checked with the Holiday Inn Express website and the hotel says it's 1 1/2 miles from Walthamstow Central. Easy to navigate I think. Since moving here I have had to learn how to walk again and find I enjoy it very much. I never walked in Southern California I think it was cause it was so HOT.....not that problem here that's for sure. I've already reserved the room and can't change it now, 1 of the conditions for getting it at 39 quid a night. But that's fine too, I don't mind a bit of extra hassle and we look at it as an adventure no matter where we go. Thanks also for the additional info on William Morris, I'll see if I can sweet talk my honey into checking it out and I love the Art Deco era so I'm looking forward to the architecture there in Walthamstow. Have any of you ever been to the Walthamstow Market? I'm hoping it's a good one and not full of traders selling crummy trainers and sports clothes. My husband and I went to what was supposed to be a really good market on the outskirts of Paris last November and it was just loads of traders. Not interested in new stuff, just old funky stuff mostly vintage glass beads for my collection and Bakelite boxes. Thanks again for your help.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

The William Morris house is well worth seeing - practically every wall hanging/material/what have you that are in Wm. Morris books. It's in a park. So park your husband there and visit the house. The market has new stuff and fruit and veg., etc. Not a flea market. I love it and go every time I'm in London.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walthamstow/Chingford Area

Agree with Bedlace (bless her, one of the few people who know where Walthamstow is) - it's a good market. You can even get pie and mash at one of the few remaining shops - it's located more or less in the middle of the market on the south side of the road.