We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money to set aside in London?

singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
How much money to set aside in London?

Hi. I'm going to be in London for 3 days this June. As it will be my first time, can anyone help me with the budget like food & transport? How much should i budget for the 3 days? What are the places that I must go?

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

Hi punggol

Someone else asked a similar question about places to go recently. You'll find the answers on page 4.

As for money, just for food and travel I'd say you'd want a minimum of 20 pounds a day (assuming that your hotel had breakfast included in the price). Then you've got to think about admission to attractions and so on.

I think if you had 50 pounds a day you'd be quite comfortable. But there have been discussions about this before, which you should be able to find if you use the search facility.

Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

punqqol,

do a search "on how much money do I need". You will find a good thread of information. (looks like $100 per person per day US or 50GBP per day is a good estimate.) My husband and I will be going to London for 3days as well and found this most helpful.

Sooner Nation
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

Welcome!!! I see you're in Sinapore? I just looked at the exchange rate, and oh my!

1 GBP = 3.14544 SGD.

Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

Hi punggol. I pretty much agree with the 50 GBP/100 USD daily budget amount, at least it was close to what I ended up with when I was trying to figure out how much money I would need for expenses over and above my airfare and hotel.

For my trip I outlined all the sights I hoped to see and what the admission fees were. My hotel includes a full english breakfast so for meals I only had to worry about lunch and dinner. To budget for that I browsed the London Eating website and also read what other TA members wrote what they spent on meals and then came up with an average for myself realizing some days would be more and other days less.

Since you will be in London for 3-days you may want to consider getting a 3-day Travelcard, which is good for travel on the tube and buses. The price for Zone 1-2, which may be all you need is 15.00/GBP.

Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

I forgot to mention...another TA member had some advice, which I thought was kind of wise and that was, once you've budgeted your daily expenses and arrive in London, think in pounds. Don't try to do conversions in your head. If you have so many pounds to spend in a day then that's what you have.

Hope it helps :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
560 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

I definitely don't plan to spend that kind of money on food in London. I will be going to Sainsburys (along with bring a few things like granola bars and oatmeal). We plan to do places like Pret and fast-food (like I read that Waitrose has Indian food) for meals. I have looked up food prices - so I figured on $5.00 for breakfast for myself (for milk and anything to go with my oatmeal), $10.00 or so for lunch, maybe $15 for dinner, and then some for snacks (in USD). And then we'll get at least one nice meal while there.

Just from what I've seen, you can eat reasonably cheap - and we could get a pizza hut pizza (or from anywhere) and split it pretty cheap comparably to some other meals.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

I agree with the point of eating reasonably cheap in London. I've been doing it for years. The pizza places that offer all you

eat for less than 6 GBP. The grocery stores, sandwich places etc. Plenty of places to eat cheap. I only have to buy one meal a day in London. Except if I'm going to see a play I get by on around 25 GBP a day.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

How much ya got? LOL

But seriously, 50-60 GBP is a reasonable expectation. And I'm a thrifty traveler, do my own cooking, buy trinket souvenirs if any, etc. My only indulgence is morning latte and afternoon tea. That rate covers 2 weeks and includes housing, everything but airfare (and all those photos).

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

Bob, please tell me where to find the AYCE pizza places for under 6GBP. I've always found that pizza is overpriced for what you get.

singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money to set aside in London?

thanks a lot u guys for replying! I was thinking of putting aside at least 45 pounds per day. So i think its quite reasonable. I'm staying at the President Hotel or Boulevard Hotel. Any comments on that?