We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

There are several reasons to hire a transport service (private car) to get into town from the airport.

1) No schlepping bags.

If you travel with the full allotment of allowed luggage, as I do (but that's another thread), it's too much to wrangle on the Tube or train, or down the street. (I did it when my luggage had straps, not wheels, and I was younger...)

2) Door-to-door service.

It can't be beat. Sit back and enjoy the drive then take your luggage directly into your lodging. See #1.

3) Value.

It's just plain worth the money. The price I most recently paid was 59GBP inbound, 54 GBP return (4 people shared the cost). Put it in your budget and you won't notice the cost, only the convenience. Check with your travel agent, sometimes they can get a better price.

4) No fuss.

Book in advance online, pay in cash on delivery at your lodging. (stop at the airport ATM)

5) For first timers, your driver will be as chatty as you want. Get an introductory tour. Get your "accent translator" engaged.

6) For first timers with luggage, it's a harsh introduction to the Tube to discover how many stairs and escalators you have to negotiate, and how far "3 minutes from the X Tube station" really is.

1. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:32 pm, August 09, 2005
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

I would agree it is worth the cost if you have 3 or more sharing the cost. For me, as a solo traveller in good health with one suitcase, the tube is fine. It takes me from Heathrow and drops me off near my B&B in the suburbs.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

I've had a couple of people, including my hotel, recommend Hotelink so I'm using them when I go to London this summer.

They are in LHR and Gatwick, run shuttles between the airports and take you from airports to hotel door for 17 GBP each way. Approximately 25 minutes between LHR and City Centre.

Their website: www.hotelink.co.uk

New England
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

We have booked roundtrip heathrow to The City area for 79GBP with justairports.com - 4 people. Recommended on fodors forum. Would be even less for fewer people. I'll let you know how the service was when we get back.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

I too have been very happy with private transfers from Heathrow when I was traveling with at least 3-4 other people. Best combination of comfort, speed and value, IMO.

muggins: I'm a fan of hotelink when I travel on my own, because of its door-to-door service, but depending on which terminal you fly into, and which hotel you stay at, the estimate of 25 mins. door-to-door can be a wildly optimistic one. If you arrive at Terminal 3, for instance, you're bundled into the shuttle, then you're driven to Terminal 4 to pick up more passengers. Last time, this alone took 20-25 mins. in very heavy airport traffic. Then, passengers are dropped off at their London hotels going from west to east, so you're in luck if you're staying in west Kensington, but if you're going to the Strand/Covent Garden area, for instance, you'll likely be driven through Kensington, Bayswater, Mayfair, Belgravia, Piccadilly, etc. before getting to your hotel. Last time, the entire journey, door-to-door, took me almost 2 hours. It was OK with me, as I got to see lots of sights along the way, and I wasn't tired. But it might not suit everybody.

Clifton Park,NY
Level Contributor
714 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

Ok, I'm wondering what I should do now. There are 6 of us arriving at Gatwick about 6:30 am. We were going to take the express and then a cab to our hotel near Hyde Park from Victoria Station. (we only need one way as we are returning from Scotland). The reason I never considered any kind of van or anything was because I thought at that time in the morning the traffic would be wicked and it would take a long time to get into the city.What does anyone think? Any input would be appreciated.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

Hm, you may be right about wicked traffic at that time, but my impression is it never really lets up. They're considering expanding the Congestion Charge area (have they done it yet?) because of that. I'd still take the private transfer if you've got much luggage to handle.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

I have taken private drivers but one time I was stuck in traffic for over four hours coming from Gatwick! It was a nightmare and now I take the train! They have plenty of porters who will carry your luggage if you need to have that done.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

Beanie,

The other point to remember about the Gatwick Express it that they have a special offer at the moment where you buy 4 tickets for the price of 2. So 4 of you could travel for 6 GBP each and the other 2 for 12 GBP making a total of 48 GBP. You can but these tickets in advance at www.gatwickexpress.co.uk or at the ticket office when you arrive at Gatwick. This offer isn't available if you want pay on the train.

In about 30 minutes you would be at Victoria whereas if you drove, you would be somewhere in deepest South London admiring the traffic jams.

Clifton Park,NY
Level Contributor
714 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasons to hire a transport service from the airport to town

Thanks, I think I want to get in town as quick as possable.