We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Any places in London or a day trip from London that are focused on and tell the story of Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton? I would love to learn about great people of United Kingdom.

E.g. I am not interested to see Hatfield House where Elizabeth I because - from what I found online - it appears to me that it is a regular house now and it doesn't tell Elizabeth's story.

P.S. Does Stratford on Avon worth visiting for Shakespeare? Or is it a tourist trap?

29 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
1. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

The Globe Theater? Or is that too obvious? Or not appropriate since it's a re-creation and not the the real original?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

The Rose Theatre almost next door to the Globe is the real thing...

Not sure what you mean by Stratford being a tourist trap. There are lots of tourists there but also Shakespeare's birthplace, tomb and a major theatre devoted to his works

Can you explain why you object to Hatfield? There's p about Elizabeth there and it's an easy trip from London

Edited: 8:38 pm, September 24, 2018
Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

SecretSwimmer, I visited website below and it doesn't say much about exhibitions or Elizabeth I (besides that her dress was found). They talk only about paying for tickets, offering it weddings and renting rooms. So I assumed it is more like a fancy hotel now. And, if they don't emphasize it Elizabeth I on their website, then they don't emphasize it in real life as well.

To add to that, I see that in October the house will be open on Wednesdays and my day trip will be on Thursday.

hatfield-house.co.uk/your-visit/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Well, there's this for Newton but it's not very accessible by public transport. Are these the only people you are interested in? https:/…woolsthorpe-manor

Plenty of historic places near London - Canterbury, Oxford, Winchester etc

New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
1 review
5. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Hi, OP, Stratford Upon Avon was a treat to me the two or three times I went many years ago. I found it to be a nice town and the Shakespeare Theatre plays are very well done. Every one I went to was tremendous acting by classically trained hakespearean actors/ actresses. We must have been there three times because I remember Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth ( this was a particularly memorable and tremendous performance) and Richard III at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. I would go back in a heartbeat and plan on squeezing Stratford upon Avon into the itinerary if we go back next year to England for son’s MSc Audio Engineering Program graduation.

While we went by the Shakespeare museum or location with information about Shakespeare and his life, we did not pay to go in, if i remember this correctly. Food in town was great but the theatre stole the show for us.

I would only go if there are worthwhile Shakespeare plays to see during a visit to Stratford Upon Avon. We enjoyed the shopping in town and ai was enamored of the Clark shoe store that was that there many moons ago. My beginning addiction to Clarks shoes after buying them directly in Stratford upon Avon.

Edited: 11:26 pm, September 24, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,876 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Well the Tower of London should be on your list. The then Princess Elizabeth was imprisoned there between March and May 1554 when her half sister Mary was Queen. And her mother, Anne Boleyn - the second wife of Henry VIII - was imprisoned and executed there in 1536.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
554 posts
105 reviews
7. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Many of the palaces Elizabeth I used no longer exist or have only small pieces left. She did occasionally stay at Hampton Court Palace but didn’t really care for it. She made three visits to Kenilworth Castle in Warwickshire. It was owned by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, a great favorite of hers. It too is pretty much a ruin but has a lovely Elizabethan Garden. Hever Castle is one of my favorites and was her mother’s home. I would suggest reading up on these people, learning about them before you visit. Once you have some knowledge you can figure out what you might want to see and what is still around. Also you might enjoy the National Portrait Gallery for some great paintings of Elizabeth.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Many places associated with these people have been lived in, occupied and modified since. Nothing stands still in time.

Burghley House in Stamford is a day trip. It's a decent walk from the train station (probably best taxi) with the house and estate. https:/…

The three royal colleges at Cambridge are Tudor, another easy day trip. Isaac Newton studied at Trinity. In fact a number of Newton's and Shakespeare's works are held by college libraries, but you won't be able to see them. But you could walk around with a guide book in the same spaces that Isaac Newton (and many other famous people and great scholars) walked around. Isaac Newton's grave is at Westminster Abbey, along with many others.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,969 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Middle Temple Hall is Elizabethan and fabulous. Ir was also the venue for the the first recorded performance of Twelfth Night.

Additionally, Act 2, Scene 4 of 1 Henry VI is set in the garden of Middle Temple.

https:/…elizabethan-and-jacobean-times

https:/…tours

You need a tour or a pre-booked lunch (or a friend at the Bar) to be able to enter Middle Temple Hall but the grounds of the Inns of Court are open to the public during the day and there are walking tours that include the Middle Temple.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?

Woolsthorpe manor is great, but it is small; it is just a modest (in modern terms) farmhouse. It won't take a great deal of your time. But you could, say, stay in or near Stamford, and visit that town, burghley house, and Woolsthorpe, which is maybe 20 minutes drive away.

Newton spent many years running the royal mint, so you could visit the Royal mint museum. It's not on the same site (in Newton's day the mint was in the Tower of London).. And I've never been so can't be sure it has any Newtonian exhibits.

Reply to: Places focused on Elizabeth I, Shakespeare or Isaac Newton?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted