We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tube passes

Ct
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
tube passes

What is the best option for tube passes for four days in London. Its been about 10 years since I've been to London and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,728 Reviews
from $123.00*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,269 Reviews
from $125.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
764 Reviews
from $103.00*
20 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,329 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: tube passes

Use a contactless bank card, or phone pay, or an Oyster card. The same Price is charged, the only difference is any bank fees you might pay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: tube passes

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/

If you opt for oyster then wait until you arrive in London to get the card, don't order them on line.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3. Re: tube passes

1) Does contactless bank card from outside UK work for tube and busses?

2) Is there any financial benefit of using oyster card over bank card or an app?

3) And, do they sell oyster cards on every station? I will be arriving to Heathrow airport.

Thank you.

Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: tube passes

Absolutely get an Oyster card. At least half the cost of paying for tube rides daily. Can use on buses also. Load it with about 30 GBP, then add to it if you run low. Need one for each person. Can get it online, but just as easy to get it at one of the major tube stations.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5. Re: tube passes

Thanks, I will just get one then on arrival.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,329 posts
441 reviews
6. Re: tube passes

<<. Can get it online, but just as easy to get it at one of the major tube stations.>>

For other readers, do NOT ‘get it online’. That gets you the less flexible and more expensive “Visitor Oyster” - just get a regular Oyster on arrival from any Tube station (and Heathrow and Gatwick) - and to reiterate, contactless bank cards and phonepay do exactly the same job at exactly the same prices.

London
Level Contributor
12,130 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: tube passes

Your questions.

(1) Cards from most of the world do work. Some cards issued in Netherlands and US don't (different technical standards). Only way to know for sure is to try on arrival.

(2) No. In a few (fairly unusual) circumstances, using contactless is slightly cheaper than oyster. For 99% of journeys for 99% of adults, it's the same. And either are vastly cheaper than paying for paper tickets.

(3) Are they sold at every station in London? No. Are they sold at all the Heathrow tube stations? Yes.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,892 posts
8. Re: tube passes

< Absolutely get an Oyster card. >

The only reasons to get one these days are

1) You don't have a contactless debit or credit card

2) You don't have Apple or Google Pay on your phone

3) You want a 7 day or longer Travelcard

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,890 posts
476 reviews
9. Re: tube passes

I confess I'm sometimes a bit old fashioned, but having had an Oyster for years I have no intention of switching to contactless. Of course, if I had never gotten an Oyster, I'd be usin gmy contactless card every time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
354 reviews
10. Re: tube passes

If you are travelling with children then certainly it would be better to get an Oyster card as you cannot add the young visitor discount to your phone. Also, you need a device for payment for each person travelling, so if you only have Apple Pay on your phone, then you need to find some other way to pay for the rest of your family. So Oyster cards still have use and I imagine they will for some time.

Reply to: tube passes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted