We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Express tickets ahead

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Express tickets ahead

Is it necessary to book Heathrow and Gatwick Express tickets ahead of time, or is it just as good to buy them at the station.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Express tickets ahead

Personally, I think it is better to buy them at the station. In January we had three of us traveling. We flew into Gatwick, once you through immigration, there is a ticket stand - they sold us tickets for Gatwick for three travelers but we got a deal and only paid for two people - the third person was free. If you buy on-line you might not be able to negotiate a deal.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Express tickets ahead

It's certainly not necessary to book ahead, but it's more convenient. Not sure about GatEx., but HEX. offers discounts for booking online and other specials occasionally.

I used to queue up for a ticket, but have found that buying ahead saves me time and hassles. When you buy online, you are given a reference number which you just punch into the machine at the airport. Soooo easy! No fumbling with cash or credit cards. When jet-lagged, it's best to keep it simple.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Express tickets ahead

Gatwick offers a up to 4 adults can travel for the price of 2 on their website. I purchased return tickets -- via www.gatwickexpress.com--- for my family for three for 47 GBP. So really the third person is traveling free. Printed the confirmation and we are set for our trip in May-- no waiting in lines-- just give them the booking number once we board the train.