We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

We will be in London for 6 days and will require some form of travel ticket to take us from Heathrow Airport to Earls Court and at the end of our stay from Earls Court to Waterloo Station. We also wish to visit Windsor Castle (form Earls Court)and back to Earls Court during our stay. My husband uses a compact manual wheelchair.

Other than the above mentioned trips we do not envisage using public transport.

What would be the best ticket for us to purchase please? Oyster, Travelcard of some description or something else?

We woul be possibly be travelling in peak hour from the airport, to Waterloo Station, and possibly to Windsor Castle.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

You can get from LHR to Earl's Court using the Tube, as the Piccadilly line offers barrier-free access at the airport and at Earl's Court. There are lifts at Earl's Court from the Piccadilly line to the ticket hall (at the Earl's Court Road way out), plus a small ramp for the few steps up from ticket hall to street level.

There are lifts at Earl's Court for the District line too, but they're not as accessible as the lifts for the Piccadilly line. Using the lifts, though, you can join an eastbound District line train to Westminster, then change there to a Jubilee line train to Waterloo - Westminster has lifts between lines, too. The Jubilee line is a bit of a walk from the mainline rail station, but there are travelators available to help speed the journey.

To get from London to Windsor you'll need to use the overground (National Rail) trains - First Great Western operate the service to WIndsor, I believe. The Tube at Paddington does not have barrier-free access, though, so you may have to use buses to get to Paddington or take a taxi. From Earl's Court to Paddington on the bus, you can take the number 328 (pick it up on Warwick Road, at the far west side of the station) to Kensington High Street, then change to a number 27 towards Chalk Farm, which will stop at Paddington station.

London buses are low floor and can kneel if necessary. They also have a dedicated area in the centre of the bus for wheelchairs and strollers, right by the rear door of the bus.

For a stay like yours, when you may not use transport too often, a Pay As You Go Oyster card will give the best value. PAYG fares on Oyster are always less than cash single fares, and if you do need to use the bus or Tube a couple of times a day, your fare will be capped at a price lower than that of a one day Travelcard. Your PAYG Oyster will attract a refundable £3 deposit, which you can get back along with unused PAYG money at any Tube station at the end of your journey.

Where are you going from Earl's Court station (I ask in case you need further directions)?

Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

Thanks Traveller Plus for your train ticket tips.

We are staying 6 days at the Imperial University in South Kensington and plan to spend a lot of time walking to see the sights. It somehow seems easier than trying to get transport.

Can you tell me if Paddington Station is accessible to the other train company that you have metioned when we catch a train to Windsor Castle and also the accessibility of the station at the castle end of the line?

Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

Hi again.

Can you please also assist me with this query ?

Not having any understanding of the costs of train travel for the above mentioned trips what minimum amount should we consider putting on the Oyster card to at least cover the above journeys?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

£10 of Pay As You Go each should be enough and you can always "top up" at any tube station should you find yourself using buses and tubes more than you thought which is likely as London can be tiring and it's sometimes nice to be able to jump on a bus (rather than having the expense of a taxi) without worrying about paying. If you do have any credit left then you can redeem it at Heathrow along with the £3 deposit.

I think most Imperial College lodging is actually nearer to South Kensington station which is two stops nearer to central London. Certainly the main campus is located a 6-8 minute walk from that tube station. If you have the name of the street we can advise further.

Going to Windsor: The entrance to the station at Paddington is flat and once you get there after a change at Slough - don't think there are stairs but I am sure someone will correct me - the exit goes through a rebuilt shopping arcade and out into the High Street. From there it is then a moderate uphill climb to the castle. You will also have to buy a separate round trip (we say return) ticket at Paddington for the journey to Windsor as the Oyster Card is not valid on that route. More about the castle and access to it at www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp…

Hope that makes sense but please do ask again if anything is unclear or if you need more information.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

I'm with Adam - I think most of the Imperial College residences are closer to South Ken station than Earl's Court. However, South Ken has stairs as well as escalators, so it may not be an ideal station to use when taking the Tube from LHR.

Gloucester Road has a lift, but there are steps to climb from train platfrom to lift level.

The number 70 bus travels along Queens Gate to Kensington Church Street, where you can catch the number 27 to Paddington, if you wish to get to the station by public transport.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

Disabled access at Slough is complicated:

Level access from highway to both sides of station giving step free access to London Paddington (slow), Reading (fast) and Windsor services. Inter platform access restricted by use of staff assisted barrow crossing and only across slow lines. Stepped footbridge in use.

That means that in at least one direction and possibly both it's going to be a bind.

You would be better off using Waterloo station to get to Windsor even though it's a bit slower - it's a through train, no changes:

Step Free Access Coverage Whole station

Step Free Access Note Windsor & Eton Riverside is accessible for wheelchair users.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

"You would be better off using Waterloo station to get to Windsor even though it's a bit slower - it's a through train, no changes"

I did wonder about the change at Slough however it's a much steeper climb up the hill from Windor & Eton Riverside which could make things difficult. I am sure someone once mentioned here that the change at Slough was straight across the platform but I must have been dreaming it.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

Going to Windsor the change at Slough is usually (though not always) straight across the platform. Coming back it definitely is not.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

Thanks for clarifying that.

Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets from Heathrow to Earls Court & Windsor Castle

Thanks everyone for your help. Obviously we are going to need to allow plenty of time when travelling.

Earls Court was my choice of stations as from what I have been told on posts this station is the closest one to where we are staying that has lifts or ramps.

I will need to check destinations if we decide to take public transport anywhere.