We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about going to Bath and Windsor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
211 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Question about going to Bath and Windsor

Hi,

I plan on buying train tickets in advance to travel from London to Bath, but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. We will be in London 10 days in July and we plan on loading a 7 day travelcard onto an oyster card for zones 1 and 2. We wanted to go to Bath on July 5th and from what I understand, I should use the railways website and select the friends and family option and then also choose my departing and returning times. My kids are 16 and 22 so it doesn't look like there is a cheaper option. Would this be the best way to go about it? I also wanted to know how to get to Windsor. Can we use the travelcard for that? Lastly, will we need passport sized photos for any of our tickets? Thank you for any help, I'm getting so confused!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,432 Reviews
from $123.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,165 Reviews
from $126.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
556 Reviews
from $111.30*
6 replies to this topic
New Mexico
Level Contributor
12,782 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about going to Bath and Windsor

Your kids are too old for the F&F Card

“ You don't need to travel together but you do need to be travelling with at least one child between the ages of 5 and 15 to be eligible for the discount.‘“

https://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk

Take a look at Two Together and the 16-25 Cards.

https://www.railcard.co.uk

May be better just to use GroupSave if it works for you. (Terms and conditions apply)

nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/46506.aspx#gs

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about going to Bath and Windsor

Bath - book at www.nationalrail.co.uk you might want to think about buying this railcard https://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/ but do the maths to see if the savings exceed the £30 cost of the card - probably, but check, its not automatically a lower gross cost. Up to four adults and four children can travel on one card. You can book in advance with the railcard discount and then actually buy the railcard when you arrive - as long as you have the card as you board the train that's fine.

Windsor - again you need train tickets see www.nationalrail.co.uk this time you have a choice, direct train from London Waterloo to Windsor and Eton Riverside station, or a faster service, even with a change of trains at Slough, from London Paddington to Windsor and Eton Central station..

No photos for Oyster cards (but to reiterate you can't use Oyster on the journeys above)

Edited: 10:36 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
London Waterloo Hostel
London Waterloo Hostel
329 Reviews
London, UK
Slough
Slough
Berkshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about going to Bath and Windsor

1. The Friends and Family option requires you to hold a F&F Railcard and you *must* travel with a child aged between 5 and 15, so you're not eligible.

2. Oyster is not valid to Windsor, and it's outside the Travelcard zones. You'll get a small discount because the start of your journey is covered by the Travelcard, but you'd have to go to the ticket office rather than a machine.

3. Travelcards on Oyster don't require photos, but then you won't be eligible for the 2-for-1 offers, if you were planning on using them.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about going to Bath and Windsor

Sorry forgot about needing a real child (rather than *your* child!) for F&Friend railcard! see post 1.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
211 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about going to Bath and Windsor

Okay, thank you for all the responses, much appreciated!

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about going to Bath and Windsor

Hi Linda, in response to your PM:

You should be looking at prices on the National Rail site given in post 2. It will link you to the train operator's website for purchase. Advance tickets for Bath are a lot cheaper. If you buy on the day, you will pay either Off Peak or Anytime fares depending on the time you travel. You can see those prices if you put today or tomorrow's date into the Nat'l Rail website.

Advance tickets require you to take the specific train you booked. Off Peak and Anytime only require you to travel at the appropriate time of day. (There are also sometimes Super Off Peak fares, which are even more limited in timing than Off Peak but don't require you to travel on a specific train.)

If you are looking at a reseller site, I don't think you'll find anywhere that offers tickets cheaper than the train operator. I don't know which site you're talking about, so I don't know how it would specifically work, but as I said, I doubt you're actually getting a deal.

Reply to: Question about going to Bath and Windsor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;