We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

Sarasota, Florida...
Level Contributor
931 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

I am arriving early in the morning (around 7:30 a.m.) at Gatwick. I am deciding whether I should hire a car or take the train into Victoria Rail and then take a taxi to my hotel near Paddington. (Too much luggage to take the Tube.) Last year, I had a hired car & it took 2 hours to get to my hotel.

My main question is: will I have difficulty getting a taxi at Victoria Rail Station at 9 a.m.?

All opinions and offers of advice appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,669 Reviews
from $123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,248 Reviews
from $125.80*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from $103.10*
8 replies to this topic
1. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:14 am, March 28, 2018

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

what day of the week?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

Is this on a weekday or weekend, what date is this on?

If the former you could wait until after 9.30 to catch a train when it should be quieter with less commuters.

There will be taxis lined up on the rank at Victoria, the problem may be the traffic that may cause delays.

Depending on how much luggage have you considered the Thameslink train services to Farringdon and change for the Circle or Hammersmith & City line to Paddington, lifts at all stations.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,050 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

>>> My main question is: will I have difficulty getting a taxi at Victoria Rail Station at 9 a.m.? <<<

The answer ti your main question: No. There will be loads waiting on the taxi rank which is by platform 1 and signposted within the Station.

paris london
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

There is a taxi rank at Victoria and there are always cabs there. However at 9am there may be a queue, as it's the prime time for business travel. No one can predict how long the queue will be or how long you'll have to wait.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

When you say 'hired a car' do you mean a self drive rental or you used a car service? Car hire usually means car rental here in the UK.

I was just looking at itineraries like this in post 3;

"Depending on how much luggage have you considered the Thameslink train services to Farringdon and change for the Circle or Hammersmith & City line to Paddington, lifts at all stations."

That would also be my suggestion, using trains other that the Gatwick Express which many tourist seem to go for, though it costs more.

Sarasota, Florida...
Level Contributor
931 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

Yes, I meant that I had a car and driver. Thanks for letting me know about the correct terminology.

Sarasota, Florida...
Level Contributor
931 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria

I am arriving on Wednesday, May 2.

Reply to: Train from Gatwick & Taxi from Victoria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted