We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather the weekend of the 17th

United States
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Weather the weekend of the 17th

I'm scheduled to leave Chicago late afternoon on the 17th and scheduled in at LHR around 7 am Sunday morning. I'm not the most seasoned traveler so, what is likely to happen with the predicted snow? If the weather is good in Chicago, will we probably go ahead and leave or are they likely to hold us in Chicago to wait out the snow in London?

14 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,440 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

Truly no way of knowing. The latest forecast indicates snow showers for Saturday and possibly a longer period of snow on Saturday night into Sunday morning. As yet there are no warnings on the Heathrow website and short haul flights tend to be the ones that are cancelled.

The only way your flight will be cancelled well in advance is if the your flight is with BA and the incoming arrival from Heathrow on Saturday is also cancelled. If that happens then you should be notified in good time. Otherwise you will need to be at the airport ready to fly.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
303 reviews
2. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

Worst case scenario you will be diverted to another airport.

But It is most likely be a bit of an anticlimax as usual.

United States
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

I'm on United and will be ready to go! I tend to be a worrier so thanks for putting me more at ease.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
4. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

If you're familiar with winters in the northern US, any snow here is likely to be an anticlimax!

London got an unusual amount of snow two weeks ago, and I think Heathrow was fine. It's so uncertain how much might fall just a few hours ahead, that I very much doubt they'll hold you in Chicago. Worst case is you may get diverted to another London airport, but given Heathrow has two runways and probably the most snowploughs, that seems unlikely too. I'd relax about it and enjoy your trip.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,440 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

Latest forecast here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43439807

Some short haul flights have been cancelled along with a few BA ones to New York & Chicago so I imagine you are happy to have booked with United.

Just started snowing here in Watford (15 miles from Heathrow) but not heavily.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
285 reviews
6. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

It's actually snowing quite hard here now ( Richmond)

London
Level Contributor
364 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

Snow coming down solidly now in Epsom... not settling much so far but temps are dropping :(

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
8. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

It has snowed a bit in South West London, but I can hear plenty of planes in and out of Heathrow, so they must be running a fairly unaffected service

United States
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

Thanks for all the responses and one more question before I hit the road. I was thinking of taking a walk to see the Wallace Collection tomorrow afternoon to fight off the jet lag but I used to live in an area when everything shut down for even a dusting of snow. Is this pretty much the way London operates or will it be business as usual within reason?

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,440 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Weather the weekend of the 17th

Shops, businesses and tourist attractions will be open as usual. It is Sunday hours though. Occasionally they may close early if really bad weather is expected shortly but I can't see that happening in central London. Travel tends to be the main thing affected when snow occurs.

Let's hope I am not asking you the same question towards the end of October when we head your way!

Reply to: Weather the weekend of the 17th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted