We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet cafes

Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Topic
Internet cafes

Just reading another thread, and I came up with a question I had meant to ask, but forgot.

How popular are internet cafes in London? I was thinking of buying an international calling card so I can phone home, but if internet is readily available (as I'm not dragging a laptop around with me) it may be better to just contact everyone via computer.

Also, what's the going rate over there for an Internet cafe.

Thanks ya'll

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet cafes

The company that runs Easyjet airlines have also opened a number of Internet cafes in London as well. Their website is:

www.easyeverything.com/map/index_uk.html

This gives details of where you can find their cafes in London.

Also, the visitlondon website also has a list of internet cafes, Have a look at the following which also includes links to the major chains websites:

…visitlondon.com/city_guide/…index.html

Happy surfing.

Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet cafes

Thank you, I'm gonna look into it right now.

Texas
Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet cafes

I saw a lot of them last summer. There was one just down the street from Victoria Park Plaza, where I was staying, and I passed it every day coming and going from Victoria Station.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet cafes

Rates at easyInternet cafes are dependent on time of day and busy-ness of the cafe. No doubt you've read this on the easy website already - I found it irritating that it's not a flat fee, so you could plan in advance. Last year, I just bought a seven day pass for unlimited use for ten quid, as I was staying fairly close to one of the easy caffs (seven day pass isn't transferable between cafes, which is also a bit of a pain). Prices are (no surprise) higher there than here.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet cafes

My experience was that internet cafes were everywhere. At least one decent one with relatively good prices in every neighborhood...but often more. (Very popular for the teenagers, especially the foreign students I think, to go play linked online video games there.) I thought the prices were very reasonable....less, say, than at a Kinko's in the US.

One caution: if your HOTEL happens to offer internet access (at their own terminal for guests in the hotel) it will likely be MUCH more expensive, even insanely so, than the cafes.

Somewhat surprisingly to this American, a lot of the McDonalds offer internet access.....with greasy keyboards included at no extra charge.

Ros
UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet cafes

If you are near a public library you will find that most of them have free internet access but you may have to book in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet cafes

tony, some of the computers/internet access chez Mc are part of the easyInternet cafe system - qv Earl's Court, Baker Street, Richmond (but the Piccadilly Circus location is in Burger King).

At Earl's Court, it wasn't so much the wafts of stale frying oil but the music turned up to 11 that got irritating v quickly. Still needs must...

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet cafes

Thanks, TPlus. Here's another twist (no pulp intended):

I stayed in Southampton (Hampshire) for a few days, and was surprised to find that the McDonald's there had tables with interenet access. It was helpful on Sundays or other times when the somewhat cheaper internet cafe was closed.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet cafes

If you go to Canada House---by Trafalgar Sq.---you can use the internet for free.I'm sure that the wait can be a long one at times,but when we were there in Dec/Jan we never had a problem.