We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

Galway
Level Contributor
50 posts
Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

Hi

I am flying into Gatwick on Friday 2nd Feb, flying out from Gatwick on Mon 5th and had planned to get the Gatwick Express return to Victoria and the tube to Shepherds Bush but now I am thinking of getting the Southern to Shepherds Bush return ticket. There is one change in Clapham.

As it is my 1st time in London

in 30 years I can be considered a complete novice!

Is it difficult to navigate the change? We land in Gatwick at about 1pm and fly out at about 1.30pm

Does a return ticket bought for the Southern line in Gatwick qualify for 2 for 1? (A must!)

Are there any watchouts, tips etc?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,378 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

Re the Gatwick-Clapham Junction-Shepherd's Bush route.

"Is it difficult to navigate the change?"

It's pretty straightforward. Sit in the back of the Southern train from Gatwick. That will put you close to the lifts/elevator up to the footbridge. The train will arrive at platform 12. Most trains to Shepherd's Bush leave from platform 1 (long walk) but one train per hour uses platform 16.

"Does a return ticket bought for the Southern line in Gatwick qualify for 2 for 1? (A must!)"

NO. Sorry. The tickets for 2 for 1 must be to/from a station designated as a "London Terminal", and neither Shepherd's Bush or Clapham Junction have that designation.

What you could do is buy Southern rail tickets to/from Victoria, get off at Clapham Junction, and then start using Oyster cards or Contactless there. You'll then keep your rail tickets for 2 for 1 use.

You must "tap in" at Clapham Junction and there are Oyster readers on the platforms. On the return, use Oyster/Contactless for the train from Shepherd'S Bush, tap out at Clapham Jct. and then use the return portion of your Victoria-Gatwick ticket.

Edited: 10:25 pm, January 31, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,378 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

[Time to edit post #1 expired]

Let me clarify my answer to the second part.

"Does a return ticket bought for the Southern line in Gatwick qualify for 2 for 1? (A must!)"

Southern rail tickets from Gatwick to a "London Terminal" station DO qualify for 2 for 1. However neither Shepherds Bush nor Clapham Junction are designated "London Terminal".

Hence the suggestion to buy return Southern tickets to Victoria (which do qualify) but get off at CLJ and use Oyster/Contactless from there to Shepherds Bush and for all the rest of your public transport in London. That's the easiest way to make the journey anyway, and you'll have eligible 2 for 1 rail tickets to boot.

Edited: 10:39 pm, January 31, 2018
Galway
Level Contributor
50 posts
3. Re: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the Oyster card

We will be making one trip which is one stop into zone 3. Should we buy Oyster cards for zone 1 to 4? Or what happens if we travel outside our zone?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

Just get regular oyster cards and add Pay As You Go credit to them, there is no need to think about or pay for zones as the system will work out the cheapest fare for your journey.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
11,503 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

@post#3

It will just deduct money from it.

Edited: 6:04 am, February 01, 2018
Galway
Level Contributor
50 posts
6. Re: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

Thanks everyybody

I wasn't sure how the oyster cards worked. I think I was mixing them up with the travel card.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,378 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush

If you have contactless payment cards or Apple/Andoid Pay you can use those instead of buying Oyster cards. One card (or phone) each. The only people who would need Oyster are under 16s for the Young Person's Discount, but even then for such a short stay the saving for them would be minimal over adult Oyster fares on Contactless.

Edited: 11:10 pm, February 01, 2018
Reply to: Train from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted