We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to Gatwick Airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
248 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to Gatwick Airport

Hi everyone

I am staying near west Brompton Station and will need to travel to Gatwick South Terminal. I am thinking of the following

Option 1. From West Brompton to Clapham Junction. Then take Southern Railway from Clapham to Gatwick

Option 2: From West Brompton to Victoria station then take Gatwick Express.

I wonder which is recommended?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,683 Reviews
from $122.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,252 Reviews
from $125.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
750 Reviews
from $102.70*
14 replies to this topic
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

Option one would be my choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

Definitely option 1. Cheaper and more sensible.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

What dates?

There's scheduled engineering work towards Gatwick over the Christmas period.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

What dates?

========

+1.

Not just for Christmas, but other weekends/holidays too. The West London Line (i.e. West Brompton) does get hit with engineering works from time to time.

If the West London Line (West Brompton-Clapham Jct) is operating when you travel, it's definitely the better of the two options, indeed the best of any options.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,264 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

Option 1 is the preferred route, just check times ahead as it's holiday season soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
248 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

My trip is this fri at 12pm. Will this be ok? Do I need to arrive at Gatwick airport 2 hours ahead of my flight? I am flying to Amsterdam

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

This Friday (tomorrow) is no problem. Definitely go via Clapham Junction.

And yes you should arrive at Gatwick 2 hours before your departure. Indeed I'd plan to arrive earlier (2.5-3 hours). That's in case there are delays on the trains as it gives you more contingency. And there were really bad delays last Friday caused by a power failure. Not saying that will happen tomorrow (it's rare) but it shows why you should allow a lot of time for delays and possibly other options.

8. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:28 am, December 23, 2017
Edited: 11:28 am, December 23, 2017

9. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:28 am, December 23, 2017

London
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport to Gatwick Airport

Post 8 is nonsense. Gatwick Express and Southern are just brand names - the operator is the same company for both. Gatwick Express are more likely to be cancelled during disruption than Southern branded trains,

Reply to: Transport to Gatwick Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted