We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London

Kernersville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
London

My daughter and my niece want to try and plan a trip to London this May, they are both 20. I have a couple of questions. 1) Where is a safe and inexpensive place to stay and how do they go about finding something. 2) Are there places that include breakfast because I hear that food is very, very expensive. They are on a tight budget and don't want to spend a lot on accommodations so they have money to enjoy their time sightseeing. Thanks for any help.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,680 Reviews
from $122.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,252 Reviews
from $125.10*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from $102.50*
20 replies to this topic
Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London

1-what is their budget in GBP

2- food isn’t terribly expensive unless you want to spend a lot

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London

You can find food options to suit all budgets. Cheapest would be a picnic in a park with food from a supermarket. Lots of cheap eating places on the centre - full english breakfast with coffee for about £5 could keep you going all day. Also standard fast food placreses - mcdonalds, kfc etc.

Hotel breakfasts are often not great value.

Edited: 5:14 pm, December 13, 2017
Kernersville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London

Budget is 1045 for room, food, sightseeing travel within London

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London

Likewise you dont need to spend much on sight seeing unless you want to. The major museums and gallleries are free along with markets, parks, streets etc. Much of central london can be walked and tfl have a grest transport network if required.

Edited: 5:18 pm, December 13, 2017
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London

The cheapest hotel chain is www.travelodge.co.uk - do read reviews of their hotels on here before booking. Some of their hotels are absolutely fine, but others are cheap for a reason.

There are of course hostels and individual hotels, but of the chains, Travelodge is the cheapest.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London

1045 per... day? week? month?

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London

>>Budget is 1045 for room, food, sightseeing travel<<

1045 what? £s? $s (which type)? cowrie shells?

And is that per day? Per person?

I suggest you separate the four components and start with accommodation. What is your budget in £s per night for, presumably, a twin bedded room. Incidentally, don’t get preoccupied by the concept of ‘safe’ as everywhere in tourist London comes into that category - and, anyway, do you think responders would really recommend unsafe places to you? Food, despite what you’ve heard, need not be expensive, loads and loads of attractions are free, and travel will be capped at under £7 a day.

Kernersville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London

1045 in GBP for 10 days per person, possibly a bit more. They don't want to spend more than 300 GBP each for accommodations. Also, is it worth getting a London pass and the Oyster card?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London

So £104.50 per person per day for everything? That's a very low budget for London. You definitely need to look at Travelodge - and you may well need to look out of central London, to get anything within that budget. Do also try the Ibis Styles at Leyton. I've stayed there before, nice hotel but it's a bit of a pain to get to, however they do have some very cheap rates on certain dates.

London Pass, Oyster card and general 'how to travel around London' - there are squillions and squillions of threads on here that discuss those. Have you used the forum search? If you do, you'll get millions of answers very quickly.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London

London in May 2018 with a royal wedding (even though that is at Windsor) for £100 per day ?? LOL

Unless they really want to try and see the wedding, then I would change to June.

Reply to: London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted