We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London itinerary - help

Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
London itinerary - help

We will visit London on Mai 2018 ( 2 adults and 2 children: 7 and 13 years). We are a family which is addicted to go sightseeing as mach as possible. I prepared itinerary and will be gratefull for your mind:

Day 1 Landing afternoon check in (near Crystal Palace)

Day 2

1. Westminster Abbey (inside visiting)

2. Buckingham Palace (guards)

3. Picadilly Circus/Oxford street - walk

4. British museum ( 2 hours)

5. Soho – food (or first Soho and then British museum)

Day 3

1. Trafalgar - walk

2. Downing street - walk

3. Big Ben - outside

4. Pałac Westminsterski - outside

5. London Eye (Real Food market – food)

6. National Galery – 3 hours

Day 4

1. Science museum

2. Natural history museum

Day 5

1. Tower Bridge – museum inside?

2. Tower of London - inside

3. St Puals Church – inside?

4. British library – inside

5. Camden market - food

Day 6

1. Windsor castle

Day 7

1. GreenwichCutty Sark and Royal Observatory

2. Little Venice i Camden Town

Day 8 – check out in the morning and flight home

19 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London itinerary - help

Looks ok. Lots of walking on each day.

Day 3, the National Gallery is at Trafalgar Sq, so you'd be doubling back if you do it the way you've listed.

Day 5, I recommend you visit the Tower of London first, then Tower Bridge, then walk to Borough Market for food, then visit St Paul's Cathedral. It's unlikely you'd make it to the British Library that day.

Day 7, don't bother with Little Venice or Camden. Spend your day in Greenwich.

Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London itinerary - help

Also, are all these places within walking distance? Where would be a central location to stay?

Thx!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
924 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London itinerary - help

Be aware that you can visit the exhibitions in the British Library but not the library itself unless you get membership. If I was you, I would skip and concentrate on the area round St Pauls - maybe wander round the City or go to the Tate Modern which is directly opposite it across the river (close by Borough Market and Southwark Cathedral)

I agree about skipping Little Venice /Camden. A really nice thing to do is get a boat to Greenwich from Waterloo. If you do finish Greenwich early, go back into town via the Docklands Light Railway which is great fun, if crowded

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,531 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London itinerary - help

According to Kinga S's other post they arrive on Sunday 29th April at Gatwick, we have already advised on how to get to their accommodation near Birkbeck tram stop.

To get to Greenwich you could walk down to Elmers End station and catch a train to Lewisham and change for the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). Take the DLR to the Cutty Sark stop and you will be in the centre of Greenwich (note the first and last doors on the train don't open at Cutty Sark due to a short platform. The DLR is a driverless train system and if sitting at or near the front you can see where you are going. To return you could take a river cruise boat back to the Tower Bridge or Westminster area.

You can only get to the entrance to Downing Street as there are large security gates preventing people from entering the area. Big Ben is the bell in the clock tower which is covered in scaffolding for long term repairs.

Quite a few places you want to visit are available for the 2for1 offers with the 7 day travelcard suggested on your other post - see www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london You will then pay for the two adults and the children will be free, make sure you take the vouchers with you.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London itinerary - help

The following are all in the same area and should probably be done all on the same day to save criss crossing all over London.

Westminster Abbey (inside visiting)

Buckingham Palace (guards)

Trafalgar - walk (I assume you mean Trafalgar Square)

Downing street - walk

Big Ben - outside

Pałac Westminsterski - outside (Palace of Westminster / Houses of Parliament)

London Eye (Real Food market – food) - do you mean Borough Market for the food?

National Gallery – 3 hours

These are all in an area called Whitehall / Westminster and here is a self guided walk that takes you round them all. You can of course leave parts of the walk out if you wish.

https:/…whitehall_walk_westminster.htm

Also day 4 you have it in the museums all day - Natural History and Science.

While both museums are wonderful (and next to each other) I think a whole day inside a museum may be too much for you and you children.

So maybe go to one of the museums for one half day (either one) then perhaps do your Piccadilly Circus / Oxford street walk for the rest of the day

Then do the other museum another day (either one) and do something else in the afternoon - Kensington Palace / Kensington Gardens which are nearby.

While you obviously know your children better than any of us there does seem to be a lot of indoor "museum" and "historic" type activities - Natural History Museum, Science Museum, British Museum, British Library, National Gallery, Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral.

While these are all wonderful places to visit may it be a bit too much for children on a 6 day visit?

I am not sure I would have wanted to do all that when I was 7 years old.

Maybe combine it with things aimed at children - Children's play area in Kensington Gardens, M&M World in Leicester Square, Living statues in Covent Garden and so on.

Just a thought.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,531 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London itinerary - help

>Also, are all these places within walking distance? Where would be a central location to stay? <

William1207 it would be best to start your own thread along with information on the dates you will be here, how and where you will arrive, your budget per night in GB pounds and how many adults/children (ages?) there will be please.

Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London itinerary - help

Hi armrestdominance, Will u do me d favour of listing a 5-day itin of London? Would be much appreciated! I've heard that London is a walking tour (?)

Rgds, william.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,531 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London itinerary - help

William this is not a travel agents, you need to do some research on your own as we do not know your likes and dislikes, see post #6.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London itinerary - help

William1207, you have already been asked once by user Elmers End

DONT piggy back on someone else's question.

If people start giving answers to the original poster AND others giving answers to you it can get VERY complex as people are not sure who is answering what question.

PLEASE START YOUR OWN QUESTION

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,864 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London itinerary - help

william1207, continuing to ask unrelated questions on someone else's topic is like inserting yourself into a conversation that is unrelated to your question. As mentioned by ElmersEnd, it would be much better if you click the "Ask a Question" on the first page of the forum to start your own conversation.

It gets very confusing as to who is answering whom... Kinga S might wonder why we're answering questions she didn't ask, and you might wonder why someone is suggesting something to do with a 7-year-old child. When you start your own topic, be sure to give detailed information as to how many people (and ages, if relevant), time of year, where you're staying and interests. Yes, London is a great walking city, but most people would not want to walk from one end to the other.

Also, be aware that while the TripAdvisor forum members are happy to make suggestions, we're volunteers, not paid travel agents who can produce a detailed itinerary for you out of thin air. There are guidebooks that have put together generic itineraries, which might give you a starting point for you to set out a draft itinerary which we can help refine. On your own thread. Please. Thank you.

Reply to: London itinerary - help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted