We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

I'm going to England in April and will spend 1 week in London and then 3 days in Oxford, my first time going to England and also first time travelling solo. I've listed my tentative itinerary and would to like to ask for feedbacks/suggestions. So here it goes:

London itinerary:

Day 1 Friday - (late afternoon): Around 4 PM, visit British Museum

Day 2 Saturday - Day trip to Cambridge then upon returning to London, visit the British Library

Day 3 Sunday - Day trip to Stonehenge/Bath (guided tour)

Day 4 Monday - Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms, Trafalgar Square,National Gallery

Day 5 Tuesday - Tower of London, Tower Bridge then St. Paul's Cathedral

Day 6 Wednesday - Windsor Castle, Natural History Museum, V&A Museum; watch Hamilton

Day 7 Thursday - nothing planned..

Leave London on Friday to go to Oxford - this I opted to take the tube back to Heathrow and then take the Airline bus.

Oxford:

Day 1 - Friday: afternoon, Oxford Natural History Museum

Day 2 - Saturday: Ashmolean Museum, Bodleian Library & Radcliffe Camera,Bridge of Sighs, Christ Church, Magdalen College, University Church of St. Mary and climb the 127 steps (this I really wanted to do)

Day 3 - Sunday: Blenheim Palace

Day 4 - Monday: Leave Oxford no later than 7AM taking the Airline bus back to Heathrow for my 12:55 PM flight to US

Is this doable or am I taking on so many things? I'll appreciate any input.

Thanks.

27 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

You are taking on far too much. Days 4 and 6 in London are especially overcrowded. Note that Windsor Castle is outside London, so you actually have three day trips from London not two.

You should probably move some of these items to day 7, or even drop some altogether. If you intend to go inside colleges then day 2 in Oxford could also be too much.

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Thanks for the input so can I do this instead:

Day 4 -Windsor Castle and Natural History Museum? The Hamilton show is @ 7:30PM..

Day 6 - Westminster Abbey and National Gallery

For Oxford on Day 2: I have to think about what to ditch.

Thanks again

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,692 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Most days are too ambitious too me. You are either not going to fit all the things in especially your daus out of london or you'll only get a fleeting glimpse.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,692 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Days 1, 2 and 6 specifically are too crowded. Taking the tube to heathrow to get a bus to oxford is a mad way to go there. There are frequent trains to oxford from paddington and marylebone station or buses from victoria coach station. Going your route could add and hour and a half to your journey.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Day 4 I would say you can't do both Windsor and the Natural History Museum in a day, particularly if you have Hamilton at 7.30.

Windsor is a town outside of London that will take some time to get to.

Day 2 is also far too much to do, Cambridge will take some time to get to and there is more to see that you can do in a whole day, coming back to London to get to the Library before it closes at 17.00 is really pushing it. The train takes 1 hr each way so,that's 2 hrs out of your day just travelling,

Edited: 1:02 am, December 13, 2017
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Day 1 might be doable, the British Museum has late night opening until 20.30 on Fridays so depending on specifically "arriving late afternoon" means, checking into the hotel yes, landing at the airport clearing customs and immigration and the travelling into town etc. possibly not.

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

@hattersmad2017 - my flight arrives at 10:55 in the morning

Day 1 I'm hoping/assuming that I will be settled and ready to go out by 4PM and would have enough time then to go to the British Museum (which is close to where I'll be staying).

Day 2 I see what you mean, I might switch the Cambridge trip to the day when the library closes at 20:00

@rich71 - I decided to go the Heathrow way for familiarity (when I leave England) and ease of travel for me - I don't have to transfer my luggage and from what I've read the Airline bus doesn't seem to have that many stops as the other bus that the time of travel seems to washed out in the end...and yeah I can be a bit mad too :)

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
749 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Day 4 sounds like too much. Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms are both fairly expensive, so you don’t want to rush through them. In fact, depending on how crowded they are, you may find yourself stuck in bottlenecks more than you’d like.

The National Gallery is free and I’d suggest 2 hours to see the highlights. But, after the first two attractions, you might be a bit zoned out. Plus, you might want time for taking photos around the Houses of Parliament, and the area from Westminster heading up to Trafalgar Square.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

I think your chances of going to Cambridge and getting back to the British Library are pretty slim. If you do want to do both on the same day, then you would be better starting with a short visit to the Treasures room at the British Library before going on to Cambridge where you can stay into the evening to make best use of your time.

Unless you race through everything else, you don't have for the National Gallery on day 4. Day 5 is doable but day 6 is completely unrealistic. Windsor would take most of the day on its own by the time to take into account travelling an hour or so each way. Hampton Court is also busiest first thing when the coach tours arrive before heading off elsewhere so going there early to try to get the most out of your time has disadvantages. Trying to shoehorn both museums into maybe three hours at best after HC doesn't do justice to either.You really need to re-think that day.

I think your second day in Oxford maybe a little optimistic. It isn't clear if you plan on actually entering the various colleges you mention - but you will need to check entry times as some only operate limited opening hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary

Seems ok to me. As others say, you're probably not going to see everything you want, but that's ok. You could live in London for a year and still not see everything.

The days you play to visit Cambridge and Windsor, you won't be able to do anything more than that as they're both day trips out of London and there's much to see.

Your day trip to Bath and Stonehenge will be a very long day with an early start. It's unavoidable on the single day tour to those locations.

I don't see anything wrong with what you've planned for day four. It's certainly achievable, it's just that you might want a change after Westminster Abbey and then the Churchill War Rooms. The National Gallery after that might seem like too much. Maybe after the War Rooms, wander down the Mall to Buckingham Palace and then up into Hyde Park, or along Piccadilly to do some fancy shopping at Fortnum and Mason, or something like that.

Use your spare day to visit the National Gallery and other museums you haven't visited by that point.

Reply to: First time trip to England - please review my itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted