We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New years eve

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
New years eve

I would like some advice on where I can see the fireworks on NYE for free. Having searched the internet I've seen that some people suggest going to Cannon St near the tube station or alternatively going up to Alexandra Palace. Has anyone tried seeing the firework show from these places, or does anyone know of any other suitable areas.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,683 Reviews
from $122.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,252 Reviews
from $125.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
750 Reviews
from $102.70*
7 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,854 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New years eve

You'll see very little worthwhile from Ally Pally just a blip on the horizon. People always suggest Primrose hill but that isn't much better IMO.

I suspect getting near the ticketed areas will be difficult but someone who's been in recent years may know how that is since they were introduced.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New years eve

I'm afraid unless you can get in somewhere high and with a view (which usually comes at great cost) then you'll see little as they now put large (like 12ft high) fences up around the paid area in most cases some distance from the river bank. You can get a glimpse of the higher ones (some) from Trafalgar square but don't expect too much especially as it gets crowded round midnight!

Edited: 1:12 pm, November 14, 2017
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New years eve

These are the fences i am refering to they use to shut off the paid area on new years eve

https://www.google.co.uk/url…

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New years eve

You can watch the fireworks on TV for free. Unfortunately there's not many other free options. The view from Parliament Hill is ok, but at quite a distance.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New years eve

People always suggest Primrose hill but that isn't much better IMO.

=====================

I took a view at some of the videos on YouTube - really in the distance to the extent I personally wouldn't bother heading there as a viewing spot.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,098 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New years eve

If you are going to go to Hampstead Heath, Primrose Hill, Alexandra Palace, Greenwich Park, Crystal Palace or some side street away from the cordoned-off zone just to get a sneaky peek for free, then you might just as well watch them on the telly.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,425 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New years eve

I fully agree with armrestdominance. The best free view is on the TV. And it's warm and dry as an extra bonus!

Reply to: New years eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted