We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport travel from city

Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
airport travel from city

Hi

Just booking flights from ireland to london and was wondering which airport out of Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow is cheapest to get to from London city centre as that will dictate which airport we will fly out of. We are flying into stansted to visit family nearby so we are open to fly home from either of those 3.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,669 Reviews
from $123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,248 Reviews
from $125.80*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
747 Reviews
from $103.10*
11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport travel from city

The cheapest transport costs from an airport to central London is from London City, then the underground from Heathrow from £3.10 but it depends on the time of day and day. But Gatwick is quicker than Heathrow and can cost as little as £8.10 using a contactless method of paying. There are also family deals to be had on some services.

I would go on the cost of the airfare and the times of the flights so you are not arriving or departing at silly o'clock time.

Are you saying your family is near to Stansted?

Edited: 7:59 am, October 25, 2017
Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: airport travel from city

London city airport isn't an option it's just the other 3 as mentioned. Yes we are flying into Stansted as we are visiting family for Christmas but going to London city for 2 nights and coming home from there. Stansted and Gatwick are our options really so I just wanted to know the cheapest and beat way to get to either

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport travel from city

There are hundreds of threads on here discussing how to get to/from all of London's airports. Use the forum search.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport travel from city

Check the train services to the airports for the Christmas to New Year period at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Stansted Express hadn't released the information on their services the other day, there are a lot of engineering works going on during that period so you might not have a great choice.

Stansted trains go from Liverpool Street station in London. Gatwick is from Victoria, Blackfriars, St Pancras, Carrington, City Thameslink or London Bridge stations.

Check this website for services from London during this period www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/2017-disruption

Edited: 5:55 am, October 26, 2017
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport travel from city

check out the new route Flybe, Dub to Southend. There are flights from 8 EUR a day. So you could spend a bit more on your train then into London!

UK
Level Contributor
8,957 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport travel from city

The train journey from Southend would be a pain over Christmas, involving a rail replacement service (coach) and a lengthy Tube journey.

OP, why is LCY not an option? I guess this depends on where you are in Ireland, since the only flights to LCY are from DUB.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport travel from city

I didn't see OP mention they were travelling at Christmas?

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport travel from city

Mrs G

Is sometime around Christmas - see post 2.

Exact days would be useful, I agree .... Might or might not be travelling in the immediate Christmas period ....

Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: airport travel from city

Ok well we have booked flight home from Gatwick to Cork Ireland and its 30th December we travel. Yes there are a lot of disruptions on all the various train sites I have looked on and there doesn’t seem to be any confirmation of these anywhere so we are a little nervous but hopefully will be ok. Thanks for all your help, we will probably use the Gatwick Express as I have found to be the most straight forward.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airport travel from city

Keep an eye on this webpage for details on train services to Gatwick from Victoria. If all is okay there should also be the normal cheaper Southern train services as well as the GEX running, you can check the NR journey planner link in post #4 for times and fares.

southernrailway.com/your-journey/…

Reply to: airport travel from city
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted