We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

Lexington, Kentucky
6 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

Hi all!

I'm from the US and will be traveling to England next May. I am flying into Heathrow and am planning on staying near the Victoria Station. I am thinking The Tube might be my best option as far as price and time, am I correct? How much is a trip on The Tube? Also, what exactly is an Oyster Card and would it be worth getting one?

If you have any other suggestions on travel or must dos while in London, please let me know! We are only there for two days and are trying to find the best way to visit popular sites.

Thanks!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,597 Reviews
from $119.50*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from $107.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from $109.90*
$122.10
23 replies to this topic
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,649 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

Tube is the most cost effective way to travel from heathrow to central London. It can be the quickest way as well (depending on time of day you travel) taking roughly an hour.

Cost depends on when you travel and how you pay for transport within London. Oyster card offers you the best price along with contactless debit/credit cards, android pay or apple pay. The only issue is there is a £5 deposit per oyster card and this can only be refunded after 48 hours.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,227 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

Do you have contactless credit cards? ApplePay?

If not, get one for each traveler. Most cost effective for you to travel on London buses and the tube.

American Express and Capital One issue them in the US.

You can read up on the Oyster Card here:

https:/…oystercard.htm

Edited: 9:12 pm, October 13, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

'i am flying into Heathrow and am planning on staying near the Victoria Station.' What hotel are you thinking of booking?

'I am thinking The Tube might be my best option as far as price and time, am I correct?' It may be, but on what date and at what time of day is your flight scheduled to arrive? 'How much is a trip on The Tube?' That will depend on the time of day you travel.

'Also, what exactly is an Oyster Card and would it be worth getting one?' Oyster is a payment method. For your situation the cards should be used to hold pre-pay for PAYG (pay as you go) use. The fare you may between 0431 on day one and 0429 on day two will cap at the lowest rate available for all journeys taken on all modes of transport. As long as you touch in and touch out correctly (touch in only on buses) the system will read all journeys and charge the lowest fare for the trips taken.

Fares are likely to change in 2018 but at present the daily cap for travel in zones 1 and 2 is £6.60 - a bargain given that a cash single could cost £5.90.

'We are only there for two days and are trying to find the best way to visit popular sites.' You will need to use transport, but with a short stay, must you book a hotel in Victoria? Depending on the date and time of day of departure from London as well as the method of departure (by rail or by air) and the station or airport used, another location may be a better choice.

How best to pay for transport, as long as you'll stay at least 48 hours from first use of an Oyster card, will likely be to use PAYG, but please let us know the details.

Lexington, Kentucky
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

We were thinking of the Z Hotel beside the Victoria Station, mainly because we wanted to be near the tourist attractions and there is a Big Bus stop near there.

We will be flying into Heathrow around 10am on a Saturday.

Thanks for your help!

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

Tourist atrractions are spread out all over London so there is no one "good" place to stay. The Big Bus is not a sensible way to travel around London - fine for an overview if you go all the way round , if outrageously expensive bearing in mind you can use ordinary buses to replicate most of the routes - but public transport, especially the tube, is far more useful if you need to get from A to B, particularly when you are limited in time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

Quite agree with andmar's post. The hop on hop off buses are an expensive tour but should never be considered as transport. They run on a very limited timetable and cover a microscopic area of London. Use London's service buses and the Underground and keep more pounds in your pocket.

There are other areas of London that (I think) are more interesting than Victoria. Again, depending on the rail station or airport of departure and time of departure - will you be in London for at least 48 hours? - you may find better accommodation elsewhere.

What are your travel dates and what is your budget in pounds only (no other currency, please)?

Lexington, Kentucky
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

To clarify, we only wanted to use the hop on hop off busses for a quick tour. Our plan was to take the tube to our hotel to drop off our luggage, then take the tube to Charing Cross where we would then get on a Big Bus and ride around Big Ben, the London Eye, and Buckingham Palace.

We are going on a study abroad trip in Italy and wanted to stop by London first. We are hoping to arrive Saturday morning, attend a Tottenham game Sunday evening, and head to Italy Monday. Travel dates are May 12-May 14.

We don’t really have a set budget in mind, just trying to cut corners where we can while still making the most of a quick trip.

Edited: 1:03 am, October 14, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

'just trying to cut corners where we can while still making the most of a quick trip.' In that case, taking the hop on hop off bus to Parliament Square and County Hall will be counterproductive in terms of cutting corners.

Presuming you're going to fly from Heathrow to Italy - London has six airports, the details matter - on 15 May then have a look at the Premier Inn Blackfriars, with a rate of £143 for the nights of 12 and 13 May. It's in an interesting area of London and is a step-free journey from and to Heathrow on the Underground.

Take the number 11 from the stop in Fleet Street at Shoe Lane …tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/blackfriars-a4-30… to Parliament Square (the Elizabeth Tower is currently under scaffolding) or to Victoria Street for a walk to BuckPal. From Buckingham Palace walk back through St James's Park to Parliament Square, look around then walk across Westminster Bridge to County Hall for the London Eye. …tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/westminster-a4-29…

I would not book in advance for a flight on the Eye as if the weather is poor you probably won't find it a worthwhile thing to do. In any event, queues for the Eye shouldn't be an issue when you travel.

Take the RV1 from County Hall (stop Y) towards Tower Gateway …tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/county-hall.pdf for a quick look at the Tower (better value than Buckingham Palace I'd say) …tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/county-hall.pdf then the 15 back from the Tower to Fleet Street for the PI …tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/tower-of-london-a…

Considerably better value than the hop on hop off buses and you'll see as much from the upper saloons of the 11 and 15 as you would on the tour buses.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

I've stayed near Victoria for years--there are several small hotels in Ebury Street with character (but usually no elevator and "compact" rooms). I then take the National Express coach from Heathrow. At 8-10 GBP it's more expensive than the Tube and not as frequent, but more comfortable and the terminal is just around the corner and is small and step and hassle free.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?

"~Attend a Tottenham game Sunday evening~"

very few premier League matches are on a Sunday evening,late afternoon yes but rarely in the evening

Those on a Sunday are normally televised and no dates have been set yet and as that is very nearly the end of the season and if Spurs are in with a chance of honours then tickets will be like gold dust.. Everything needs to be purchased beforehand,you cannot just walk up and buy on the day. Purchase from official sites not the touts in the street or some scammers on line

Edited: 4:08 am, October 14, 2017
Reply to: Best way to get from Heathrow to Central London?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted