We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Card or Oyster

Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Card or Oyster

Sorry guys Im still confused

I'm flying into City and out at heathrow While I'm there for 7 days Ill be going to Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace and Tower of london. If I get a travel card for 5 days on an Oyster card and load it with 10 pounds will that be enough for travel to and from airports and then the travel card for the 5 days in between

Thanks

Rick

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,593 Reviews
from $119.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from $107.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from $122.00*
17 replies to this topic
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

Yes!!!!!

However... Travelcards are for 7 days. No such thing as a 5 day Travelcard.

And Windsor is outside of the TFL/Travelcard/Oyster zone.

Edited: 7:19 pm, October 09, 2017
2. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:32 pm, October 09, 2017
Edited: 9:32 pm, October 09, 2017

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,209 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

Assuming you plan to purchase a Travelcard valid for zones 1-2, £10 won’t be enough if you plan to use your Oyster Card to also travel to Hampton Court station during peak hours. Start with £15 if that’s the case.

Peak: £4.20

Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.

An estimate of your additional fare each way:

Off Peak: £2.80

At all other times including public holidays.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,209 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

If you have a valid Travelcard on your Oyster Card when you arrive at Heathrow, you will not be able to

obtain a refund for the £5 deposit.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

"If you have a valid Travelcard on your Oyster Card when you arrive at Heathrow, you will not be able to obtain a refund for the £5 deposit."

===========

Correct, but how long is the OP actually staying?

If you arrive on say a Tuesday and depart the following Tuesday (having stayed 7 nights) the day of departure is day 8 and the 7 day travelcard will have cleared.

So what are your days of arrival and departure?

Also, are you traveling solo or with there be two or more of you? If two or more then you may want to benefit from the 2 for 1 offers in which case you'll need paper travelcards issued at a National Rail station. You can then use Oyster to get from/to the airports and paper extension tickets to get to/from Hampton Court. Windsor will require paper tail tickets anyway

Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

Two of us are there from Nov 10 to Nov17

I take it I cant get the Oyster card at City AirPort so can I just pay cash

Your Saying to just get the Oyster with 15 cash and the separate travel card

Would it be best to get the Oyster refund the day before we go to Heathrow and again just use cash. If this is the case do I really need the Oyster card

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

Why do you think you can't buy an Oyster card at City Airport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,129 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

If you get a 7 day travel card loaded on the oyster to start on the 10th then it will expire at 04:29 on the 17th so you won't be able to get a refund until after 04:30 on the 17th.

Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

Thanks

Y do I have to load the travel card on the Oyster card cant I just get two cards.

I guess I can get them at City airport on the 10th then on the 17th at Heathrow airport I can cash in the Oyster card.

Does that make sense

Rick

London
Level Contributor
11,920 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Card or Oyster

Why would you want two cards? If you have both PAYG value and a travelcard loaded on the same oystercard, the system always works out the cheapest option.

Note that the optimum travelcard option for most visitors is the zone1/2 version. However, City airport is in zone 3, so even if you load that travelcard on arrival, you still need additional PAYG value.

Reply to: Travel Card or Oyster
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted