We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Londonchoice.com

St. Louis
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Londonchoice.com

We just returned from London last night. Here is what happened with the booking company Londonchoice.com:

1. We paid in FULL for our stay 30 days prior to arrival for a 2 Bedroom apartment.

2. Upon arrival (Monday afternoon), our apartment was not ready, so we were provided a 3 Bedroom apartment.

3. On Thursday night, we were informed by the cleaning people that we had to move our belongings to another apartment by 8 the following morning.

4. After repeated attempts to speak with the management company by leaving messages, he finally contacted us while were touring the Transport Museum at Covent Garden.

5. He said that we had to be out that day or we could go to a hotel. His reasoning was because we had the use of a nicer unit, we now had to move. It didn't make any difference to him what we were doing at the particular moment, nor that we had totally paid for the 2 bedroom apartment and he had failed to provide it.

6. After threatening to move our belongings, we settled on rushing back to the apartment and hurridly moving our belongings for a minimal adjustment in what we had paid: less than a full night's stay. As a result of the hurried move (just throwing stuff into the suitcases -- food from the fridge as well), we were late to a show we had booked that evening.

7. Apparently, because of the "settlement" we were no longer entitled to the maid service and clean linens that were provided to us in the previous apartment and which were to be provided as represented to us in the website representation.

8. The "new" apartment (not the one we had booked before); had been a smoking apartment (our youngest son has asthma and was miserable) -- we had specifically requested the other 2 bedroom apartment because it was a no-smoking apartment; there were 2 flights of stairs to walk after a lift which (if available) took us up 4 flights of stairs; and there were no amenities to speak of that were represented to be in the apartment, i.e., hairdryer, working shower, internet usage.

9. Finally, the attitude from the manager and his side-kick was simply amazing. Their "customer-service" approach was to shift the blame onto US!!!!

This management company requires FULL payment a full 30 days in advance. As a result, they knew or should have known of THEIR mistake a month prior to our arrival. Absent that, they knew or should have known that the apartment they provided to us had to be used by a larger family at the time they gave it to us, but told us we had less than 12 hours to vacate. Notwithstanding all of that, we had paid in FULL for the apartment 30 days in advance. Not only was the mistake theirs to own, their attitude was incredible.

Renter, beware!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,587 Reviews
London, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

So very sorry that you had this awful experience and thank you for posting this warning.

I am not sure there is a lot you can do to obtain any sort of refund but you could consider contacting The London Tourist Board who are now called Visit London. You can check at their website http://uk.visitlondon.com. The address I have is 1 Warwick Row, London SW1 E5ER

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Warwick
Warwick
Warwickshire, UK
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

I hope you had a good time in London despite your rather dire time with the accommodation?

Isn't LondonChoice the booking agents for numerous apartments in London? Have you contacted them to explain the poor service you got from this particular apartment building manager? They may not want to represent them either if it is so bad.

And which apartments did you stay at so we can avoid them and this stroppy man?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

Do you know the name of the apartment building? Where was it located? This is the problem with paying in full, even for hotels on websites. Once they have your money, you are out of luck!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

Oh, thanks so much for those suggestions, Adamhornets and Ebabe. We were VERY surprised that the manager had taken such a position because of the numerous apartments they manage and rent in London. You are right though Ebabe, if I knew one of my employees was treating a customer in the manner we were treated, I would want to know. I had assumed that he was a principal of the company; he completely indicated he was. We will check further. At one point when I had complained about the time this was taking, his response was that the matter was consuming his time as well (to give you a further indication of the atmosphere of customer service). Our address was 49 Lancaster Gate on the north side of the park. Notwithstanding this inconvenience, we had an incredible trip and our kids loved it!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Lancaster Gate Hotel
Lancaster Gate Hotel
2,280 Reviews
London, UK
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

Happy to hear this experience didn't ruin your trip entirely.

arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

Thanks for the warning. I was just about to book at this apartment but have not had response to my email inquiry. I called the U.S. number they have listed which links me with London Choice. I left one message already but still didn't get a reply and just now left another message. Anyone have suggestions for good location for family of six to stay?? (4 children)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

I have booked with London First Choice Apartments, www.lfca.co.uk - and never had a problem - I usually stay at 130 Apartments on Queensgate, but they have apartments in the standard, quality and prestige ratings. When booking an apartment, make sure you check the terms and conditions very carefully, you shouldnt be charged a booking fee, admin fee or have outrageous cancellation fees. I paid a deposit for the apartment, and the balance when I arrived.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

Londonlady, I think these are entirely different companies looking at the two web pages. As if booking accomodation isn't confusing enough, these companies have to use such similar names.

eieio, thanks for posting your experience. The more information we all have the better.

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

I have to agree with ebabe, you should report the property manager of 49 Lancaster Gate to Londonchoice.com. I did a quick search and one of their listings is Scala House which gets nothing but good reviews. I fear it is that particular property manager not londonchoice.com that is to blame.

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster Gate Hotel
Lancaster Gate Hotel
2,280 Reviews
London, UK
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Londonchoice.com

LondonChoice and London First Choice are entirely two different companies and are not related to each other as far as I can tell. The names are similiar.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK