We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

I think the scale has tipped in favor of my spending a week in London in late May. I'm looking for a clean, comfortable hotel ideally on a quiet street which has a bit of a "refuge from the city" quality to it.

I would like to be within a short walk of Hyde Park, and am willing to pay between 90 and 130 GBP -- lower being better of course. I don't mind the generally smaller London hotel rooms, but a "monk's cell" is too small.

Does anyone have a favorite hotel that fits this description or close?

Plusses would include also being "nearer" either Royal Albert Hall, on the one hand, OR The British Museum on the other.

Thank you. :-)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

No paricular favourites but you could start looking here

http://www.hotels-london.co.uk/index.php

or here

http://www.uk.laterooms.com/index_uk_eng.html

I have stayed here and used this site for booking

central-london-apartments.com/130_queensgate…

and they have studios for 94.50 GBP which would give you a kitchen to further cut costs. I could wax lyrical at length about staying in this area (but I'll spare you) but you'll be able to walk to The Royal Albert Hall, V&A, Science Museum, Natural History Musem and Kensington Gdns to name a few.

The British Museum is in another area of town, more Tottehnam Court Rd, Bloomsbury.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,440 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

The Darlington Hyde Park would get my vote and there are several other popular choices on the north edge of Hyde Park. The Albert Hall (south) side tends to be more expensive although it could be worth looking at lastminute.com and other similar sights.

I don't know the Bloomsbury area as well but The Tavistock is in a handy location for The British Museum and is popular here. There are also some smaller town house type places in the area such as The Ruskin and The Harlingford.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
560 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, and it was on Travelocity for a little over $140 for the dates we chose (USD, not GBP). We paid a bit more for the deluxe rooms.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

Adam,

I will be attending some concerts at night at the RAH. Is it completely safe to walk across Hyde Park from RAH to the Darlington afterwards...probably around 10:30 p.m.?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

What about Thistle Kensington Park or Thistle Kensington Palace..both about 5 mins walk from RAH and opposite the entrance to Hyde P. Be careful of prices at end of May ...Chelsea Flower Show is on and will make accommodation much more expensive.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

Hi tonymoco: I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't recommend the Darlington enough. It's great value - my single room in May will only be 60 GBP. This includes full English breakfast and a fridge/safe in the room. Great location if using Heathrow Express. Depending on how fast you walk, it's about 5 min. walk to Hyde Park. I'm not sure about walking alone across the park that late at night. A taxi from Hyde Park Corner to the Darlington was about 6 GBP so it shouldn't cost too much more. Besides, your feet will thank you for taking a cab!

Check out the reveiws, there are some great pictures of a single room. I think all singles are located on the back of the hotel so it's very quiet. Let me know if you have any other questions about the place.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel in Sussex Gardens will never be a three-star or four-star hotel because it's 'guest accommodation', i.e. a B&B hotel. However, it is almost definitely the best B&B hotel in London, with numerous plaudits from satisfied customers.

I would not recommend walking across Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens after dark, if indeed it is possible. You can take bus 414 from South Kensington to Edgware Road/Sussex Gardens; and bus 7 from Praed Street to the British Museum (stops in Sussex Gardens on the way back).

http://www.darlingtonhotel.com/

http://www.busmap.org/tt/414.pdf

http://www.busmap.org/tt/007.pdf

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

Wow....I just checked out Londontown.com and was able to book the Copthorne Tara (on Kensington High Street near Kensington Palace) for 75GBP/night standard double -- so I jumped on it at least to hold the rate for now.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

i stayed in the corus hyde park in 2001 and thought it was pretty nice - very nice resteraunt in the lobby

Devon
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 or 4 Star hotels within 3-4 minute walk of Hyde Park?

dont forget to check your final price included tax as londontown.com usually give prices excluding tax which then obviously hikes the price up a bit.