We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love to see Ian MacKellen in King Lear!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Love to see Ian MacKellen in King Lear!

Hello All,

My husband and I are former actors ( a million years ago)and were formally trained in Shakespeare. We would LOVE to see Ian Mackellen in Lear at Stratford Upon Avon during our UK trip. They are sold out! I contacted some brokers online to no avail.

How can we get tickets for May 9th performance?

Any ideas?

Barbara

re: www.rsc.org.uk/newsandevents/events/3533.aspx

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Love to see Ian MacKellen in King Lear!

No idea, but read in todays paper that understudies seem to be appearing more and more.

Richard Griffiths in Equus had flu and his understudy read the script!

Connie in Sound of music is off for 2 weeks due to cvocal damage, so people hoping to see her may be disappointed (although her understudy is supposed to be good).

Anyway - just to point out that even if you do get tix to see the star of your choice, they may still not appear.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Love to see Ian MacKellen in King Lear!

"cvocal damage" is not a new disease... Should be "vocal damage".

If tickets are sold out, then that indicates high demand, and so tickets start to appear on touts sites or ebay, usually.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Love to see Ian MacKellen in King Lear!

Thank you so much. I needed that perspective. We have tickets to Equus ..Hope Mr. Griffiths is well in May...!

UK
Level Contributor
200 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Love to see Ian MacKellen in King Lear!

Hi Barbara

I've just managed to get two tickets for 'King Lear' at the end of May by phoning the box office (+44 1789 403436), and these were returns. I was told I was lucky to get reasonably good returns. It wouldn't hurt for you to try ringing them occasionally to see what returns they get. Also, if you go to the website you can sometimes buy single tickets (I found two separate seats for the performance I wanted). I don't think you'd have any trouble getting seats eventually if you persist (personally I wouldn't go to a broker or pay over the odds on Ebay, as box offices always get returns). I think they also hold day seats back for sale on the day, but you'd have to queue up for them (check with the box office nearer the time to see how early you'd need to be there).

Hope this helps.

5. Re: Love to see Ian MacKellen in King Lear!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 27, 2009