We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marlin Waterloo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Marlin Waterloo

I'm very annoyed/unhappy as our Airbnb host advised us that there are remedial works happening in the block of flats where we had booked....... I've contacted Airbnb and now have a Case Manager....... but i DON'T want this post to be about Airbnb!

We will be in London in the beginning of July. We have 2 young active boys, 4, 8 yo. We were originally staying at Chiltern St, 5 min walk to Baker St tube station & i thought pretty central.

Is the location of the new Marlin in Waterloo suitable for a family sightseeing in London? It's 2 mins walk to Lambeth North tube station. It's new and has a kitchenette....... and is within my budget. (and will put me out of my angst & worry of looking for accommodation 1 month out)

This is what we hope to be doing over 9 days.

Natural History museum, Science Museum, London Eye, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey?Big Ben, Princess Diana Memorial Playground, Hyde Park, Street entertainers in Covent Garden, Changing of the Guard, Riding double decker buses, Canal boat trip? Little Venice, Afternoon Tea Fortnum & Mason, Hamley's Toy Shop Oxford Circus, new Lego shop, Piccadilly Circus, Lords Tour, a day at Wimbledon (hopefully).

I'm just looking for feedback with whether the location of Marlin, Waterloo is suitable for a family sightseeing in London. Otherwise, let me know if you have any accommodation suggestions. (our budget is around 250 pounds/night, my husband said it can be a little more if it will help reduce my angst)

Thank you, thank you for your advice and help

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Science Museum
Science Museum
7,856 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
55,675 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
19,986 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
29,022 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
18,329 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
19,930 Reviews
London, UK
Changing of the Guard
Changing of the Guard
2,023 Reviews
London, UK
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Lego Shop
Lego Shop
561 Reviews
London, UK
Piccadilly Circus
Piccadilly Circus
5,101 Reviews
London, UK
Lords Hotel
Lords Hotel
580 Reviews
London, UK
Wimbledon
Wimbledon
124 Reviews
London, UK
Marlin Waterloo
Marlin Waterloo
459 Reviews
London, UK
12 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,554 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marlin Waterloo

Marlin Waterloo is scheduled to open on 1 June, so if you've found any reviews of the place I'd be very curious to know how they were obtained.

It's certainly handy for Lambeth North station, with a handful of buses to and from the area as well: …tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/lambeth-north.pdf There is greenspace not too far away which your two young chaps might appreciate for the opportunity to run off some steam.

I've had very good stays at other Marlin properties; two friends are booked in for the month of June at one of them as well. If you like the look of the Waterloo property and if it suits your budget then I think it's worth a go. If it's like their other blocks of flats then you'll find all mod cons on hand; the only thing I've found missing is a clothes airer / drying rack, but I wouldn't look elsewhere because of it.

Mentioned in this post
Marlin Waterloo
Marlin Waterloo
459 Reviews
London, UK
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marlin Waterloo

Airbnb thread on Budget travel-have you posted there?

Mentioned in this post
Budget Guest House
Budget Guest House
167 Reviews
London, UK
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marlin Waterloo

We made the similar decision to stay at Waterloo marlin. Kids 11 and 13.

I was going crazy trying to book a room within budget and big enough. PLUS its Brand New official opening is today. Its pretty close to everything and this is a relative term. Kinda like saying any hotel in NYC is OK because of distances. If you love times square and walking then you should try to find a hotel in times square. The challenge with London is June and July it's crazy busy and and the rates are much higher than NYC options, most likely due to strong Currency.

The only other recommendation is to look at the Harry Potter Studio Tour about 20 Minutes out. You can still find tickets and see the stages they filmed Harry Potter. Your kids may enjoy.

Cheers and good luck from Puerto Rico

I have told my wife, we will be out and about all day, just need a clean place to sleep and a good shower every day. Going to

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
Warner Bros. Studio Tour...
35,048 Reviews
Leavesden, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,737 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marlin Waterloo

It's absolutely fine location wise with Lambeth North and Waterloo for tube/rail and loads of good bus routes. No one place is going to be near everything. With good transport - bus/tube on the doorstep you can get everywhere pretty easily and the South Bank with street entertainers and an adventure playground is a short stroll away. For a busy time of year for families I would crack on and book it.

Edited: 4:59 pm, May 26, 2017
Mentioned in this post
South Bank
South Bank
1,516 Reviews
London, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marlin Waterloo

Thank you everyone for your helpful thoughts & advice.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
963 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marlin Waterloo

I am just wondering what the walk would be like to Waterloo Tube station from the Marlin.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,791 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marlin Waterloo

Very easy. Less than ten minutes as long as you use the Jubilee line exit.

Mentioned in this post
Jubilee Hotel
Jubilee Hotel
336 Reviews
London, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marlin Waterloo

Hello- I am wondering how your trip (or if anyone else) has stayed in this hotel recently. Was the area comfortable for you and your family and did you like the hotel? I am considering booking for 7 nights in April.

Thank you.

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marlin Waterloo

How did this hotel/area work for you? I am considering booking for 1 week in April.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marlin Waterloo

Marlin Waterloo worked very well for our family, both from a location & accommodation perspective.

The room was small & tight, but it was brand new & it's so handy to have the kitchenette. We were out most of the time so only really slept in the room.

We ate at The Fire station and Wahaca for dinner.

We mainly used the Lambeth Nth Tube station, which was a very easy walk. Waterloo station & buses were an option & the boys enjoyed the buses.

Mentioned in this post
Marlin Waterloo
Marlin Waterloo
459 Reviews
London, UK
The Fire Station
The Fire Station
646 Reviews
London, UK
Wahaca Brixton
Wahaca Brixton
365 Reviews