We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow vs Gatwick

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

Hi all,

Planning a trip in first week of July to watch Wimbledon. Second time to London (but first time was way too long ago). Is it Heathrow a much prefer airport for international flight ( from NYC)? I see some tickets are cheaper flying to Gatwick. Thanks!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
9,469 posts
8 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

Gatwick is a bit more awkward to get into town from, but that does depend on where you are staying. If the price is significantly better to LGW then I would be very happy to choose that over LHR. But make sure you are comparing eggs with eggs, as a number of flights from North America to LGW are lost cost operators that may have plenty of extra costs. I also hope you are looking at airline websites to price up rather than one of the shonky online agents.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
2. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

I would base it on routing/schedule/price

Since you are starting from NYC, you have lots of flights into LHR. I don't know if I would go out of my way to avoid it and pick LGW. unless maybe the price difference was large.

If you were starting in a city that had direct non-stop to LGW and mot LHR, then I may not go out of my way to get to LHR.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

it's like starting from JFK or EWR - in the scheme of things it hardly matters

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

Agree with JeffM; on our flight this week we have to pay for luggage and meals into LGW; the carrier we used last year, those were provided.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
376 reviews
368 helpful votes
5. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

>>it's like starting from JFK or EWR - in the scheme of things it hardly matters<<

Unless you want to use the Tube to get into town.

Or you want to stay in west London (because you're headed to Wimbledon).

London
Level Contributor
14,145 posts
72 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

I find getting from Gatwick to central London is quicker and easier than Heathrow. The trains ride can be as quick as 30 minutes and services leave every few minutes. If you're heading to Wimbledon or near, that's easy from Gatwick, simple change at Clapham junction.

Costs slightly more, to any central London rail terminal: Gatwick is £8.10 versus £3.10 from Heathrow (quoted fare is off peak using oyster or contactless).

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
7. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

Does depend on where you plan to stay, but I agree in the grand scheme of things makes no difference.

Heathrow is better connected to more places in the city, but if you're saving good money on the flights...

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17,485 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

if i had a choice i would choose Gatwick.

i feel its smaller and less walking from Terminal to train.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
37,406 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

They're both fine for central London. Depending on where in London you're staying one airport may be slightly more convenient than the other but it's close. Both have solid frequent and affordable rail connections (and not just HEX and GEX).

If you're looking at flying Norwegian make sure to work out the total cost, not just airfare. Norwegian lowballs on airfare but then you have to pay for checked bags and meals and drinks. On the comparisons I've tried for the Air Travel forum once those are factored in they're only slightly cheaper and in some cases more expensive than Delta, Virgin, BA, AA and United. And BA flies JFK-Gatwick so you may find that cheaper than the mainline carriers to Heathrow, and comparable if not overall cheaper than Norwegian.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,914 posts
27 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: Heathrow vs Gatwick
Save

I live in the City, which is just inside the eastern edge of the Circle Line.

Gatwick by Thameslink is easier for me than Heathrow and I prefer it.

The Thameslink trains stop at Blackfriars, (sometimes) London Bridge, always City Thameslink, Farringdon and St. Pancras (as well as points north).

IME The Thameslink trains are more comfortable than the tube and Gatwick is easier to navigate than Heathrow.

If you are staying around Victoria, the Southern trains from Gatwick are marginally easier than the tube, changing at Hammersmith.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.