We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airline restrictions

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
College Station...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
airline restrictions

Howdy All!

Is there still a restriction on liquids? And what exactly happens when you go through customs?

I have more questions but I'm too over loaded right now to even ask.

Thanks,

Kristen

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airline restrictions

liquids yes - read the links for the TSA (security in the US) and BAA security in the UK (make sure you note that coming back to the US you currently are only allowed ONE carryon, not a carryon and a personal item such as a handbag, laptop, etc. - ALL must be in one bag coming back (and within the size guidelines - if it is too big you have to go back and check your bag)

Going to the UK you will go through Passport Control - you fill out a form on the flight given to you by the flight attendant and present that form to the passport person - they may ask a few questions, usually about why you are entering the UK, they stamp your passport, you head to baggage claim - collect your bags then head towards customs - you will generally be in the "green line-nothing to declare" (unless you DO have something to declare based on UK customs rules - you can check those online. then you are finished - you MAY be asked @ customs to have your bags checked-chances are not- but we did see a few people pulled aside (they had massive amounts of luggage)

On your return, you will complete a customs declaration form on your flight-and go through the same process on your return to the US - the only difference is that your customs declaration form you are declaring the $$ value of items you are bringing back to the US - again, you can search the entire rules on line.

website for TSA

tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permi…

website for BAA

http://www.baa.co.uk/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airline restrictions

Sigh - yes, the restrictions are still in place. And the definition of liquids and gels is quite fluid (no pun intended) - evidently jam and yogourt are liquids to the Security crew in Helsinki, and small tubs of peanut butter are liquids as far as the Security experts in PHX are concerned.

You may carry a one litre / one quart (approx) zipper top bag through Security. When leaving the States, the bottles or containers in the bag must not be larger than 3 oz (90ml). For flights leaving the UK and other European airports, the bottles may hold 100ml. Pax may not carry a (eg) 120ml bottle containing 90ml or less.

Except for the two occasions quoted in the first paragraph, no other Security personnel have wanted to examine my plastic bag of goods (for flights since September). I was waved through three times at LHR, and twice at YVR, once in PHX. Having said this, I had the sealed bag at the top of my carryon bag, in case anyone wanted a closer look.

Remember, when you fly out of UK airports, you're allowed one carryon bag through the Security check - you can place your handbag in the carryon, have the thing x-rayed, then pull out your handbag on the other side of the screening device.

Customs in the UK (and other EU countries) is a doddle. You'll see signs for the green and red channels - either Nothing to Declare or Goods to Declare. Just walk through the appropriate corridor and that's it. There may not be customs inspectors physically there watching pax go through the green channel, but the CCTV cameras see all, and if staff think a check is in order, they will appear and ask for a further inspection.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airline restrictions

Does anyone know if a white stick type deodorant counts towards my ziplock bag of 3 ounce liquids? I read gels and aerosols count but it didn't mention solid sticks... *sigh* It's all so tedious...

College Station...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: airline restrictions

Thanks you guys!

I am so confused and my head hurts from all of this investigating! Once my neurons calm down I will try and understand the liquid situation and no, it is not directly related to the fact I am a blonde or that I am an Aggie.

Whoop!

Kristen

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,418 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airline restrictions

Travelling is just so complicated these days........and yet, we continue to book flights and go. Still, better to Know Before You Go (the title of one of the Government of Canada's publications - !!)

MtG, yes, stick deodorant counts as a liquid / gel - amazing, innit?

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airline restrictions

chapsticks, lipsticks, etc can also be interpreted as liquids/gels depending on who is checking your bag - some people have reported they have been 'confiscated' if not in the baggie, others pass through with no question. My husband's vitamin E supplements were considered 'gels' at one airport, not at another.

(oh and the rules somewhere - perhaps posted prior to security at least here stateside - say that your 'baggie' is to be removed from your carryon prior to going through xray and placed in the bin with your carryon for easy inspection - )(oh and here in the US, we had to remove our shoes, coming back from the UK we didn't)

best thing Misssmith (so many ss'S!) -

is to just pack in your carryon (little travel sizes) what you may possibly need on the flight or for the day you arrive in case, heaven forbid!, your checked bags separate from you - put everything else in checked baggage and leave the stresses of travel to something else -

NDP

Kentucky (currently)
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: airline restrictions

Actually if your stick deodorant says "solid" on the front, it does not count as a liquid. If there is any question, show them the word "solid". Remember you always have the right to ask for a supervisor (at least in the states) if there is any disagreement.

The deodorant that is part of the baggie brigade is the gel type.

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airline restrictions

misssimth10:

don't you know it's a law if you live it College Station you are automatically an Aggie?

To others, inside Texas joke.

The other thing you might do is post on forum of the city you are flying out of.( i.e. Houston) asking about security checks at that airport.

I used to get the Wand at Dallas Love Field every trip but never at DFW.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airline restrictions

Have a look at the website of the airline you're using. I'll be flying with BA soon and they have very detailed information about the restrictions, both for travel within and outside of Europe.

It is a pain, but surely it's better that we have this relatively small inconvenience than the potentially devastating problems that could arise if action hadn't been taken? Personally, I prefer safety and can live with the inconvenience.

If luggage goes missing, we have shops in the UK where you can get hold of deodorant etc if needed!! The airports have plenty of shopping options, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, although I know the exchange rate doesn't favour Americans at present....

College Station...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: airline restrictions

My head no longer hurts as much as it did last night. I am however gearing up for my "organizing the info" and getting our clothes in order. I told my husband about this wonderful site and all the great info I've been getting, he laughed at me! I was so mad! He thinks he knows this stuff but he hasn't been to England in 24 years!!!! Things change. I am going to be PREPARED!

Yes, he did mention just buying the items at a chemist. I beleive that's a drugstore. I am going to take some things though just in case.

Cheers All!

Kristen