We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thames foreshore

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
east end
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
thames foreshore

as the thames is tidal......at low tide there is quite a area of beach there are various points of access along the thames to reach this....if you want to take pictures you get a more unusual angle or if you want to find something old and of interest there is usually a few things on the ground, i often use stairs on the north side of the thames around 400 metres from london bridge heading towards tower bridge........a few words of caution first though....the stairs can sometimes be slippery and a thin layer of mud is sometimes on them.........so no falling down the steps. secondly keep a eye on the water and do not venture too far from the steps as the tide can come in quickly and getting cut off can happen.......now for the good bit....what is there.....well there is mainly a gravel floor a bit muddy in places but you will see quite a lot of old animal bones as these werethrown in the thames through hundreds of years...there are clay pipes in places these are well over and more like 200 years old plus.....some are decorative......there is also piesces of pottery modern to ancient.....i even met a brick expert from a museum there once collecting...well bricks.

be careful with children as there are some things that you do not want them to pick up. but in general i usually find a dozen or so items that are interesting in a hour or so. at the weekend you will usually see someone down there it might be me....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,617 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thames foreshore

This is great! Tide tables for London Bridge can be found at www.bbc.co.uk/weather, in case anyone wants an idea of when to head to the river. Do you get there via Lower Thames Street or Water Lane?

Thanks.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thames foreshore

Amazing....thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thames foreshore

Children in Victorian times scraped the mud looking for coal dropped by the barges......they were called Mud-Larks. A precarious way to get coal given the pollution in the Thames in those days. The name stuck for any one who goes down when the tide is out, searching for stuff.

Beware that mud, it can suck your feet down something chronic!

It's a brilliant thing to do if you're tired of the usual tourist sites.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,440 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thames foreshore

Those nice people at Original London Walks (www.walks.com) offer a few Sunday mornings of Thames Beachcombing with Mike, the former Museum of London Marine Archaeologist.

The next walk is on April 10th folowed by another on May 8th. More at their website.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thames foreshore

bbc.co.uk/insideout/…london_beaches.shtml

east end
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thames foreshore

ok as there is some interest in this thread i will add a bit more, my original thread was about eyes only searching...ie looking only you can search with a metal detector and you can dig but you need a permit from the port of london authority to do both of these....metal detecting is not easy and i would not expect anyone to travel from abroad with there detector as its not worthwhile...also the amount of scrap iron or metal mixed in with all the good items makes finding anything diffficult. there are some people that do go to extremes to find things they will arrive with shovels and builders sieves and dig a hole 8 feet deep and sieve the contents as the deeper you go the older the items get....i am against this as what happens is that foolish people that do this do not fill in the hole the next tide fills this with soft silt and then people can fall into this......i have not seen any of these holes in the city part of the thames but more west i have seen people doing this and seen the holes. as for mudlarks yes the small children would feel around in the mud with there feet and hands....some were cut by metal they would run home and banfdage it then go back.....if you find anything you are in doubt of leave it and do not touch it, there is a small possibility of finding a grenade or butterfly bomb from the war. as for eyes only searching look for the unexpected...silver turns deep black and a lot of metals like coins turn green...so that leaf may be a coin....as the thames is tidal and there are strong currents then new items are washed around all of the time....i am not saying you are going to find something of great value....but i have loads of clay pipes with the burn mark still inside the bowl.....and these are over 200 years old. as a last word.......check the tide times and i usually walk down onto the shore a hour before low tide...this gives a hour or so receding tide then a hour or 2 before it comes back. if you are near the water watch out for large ships they create a wash of a coule of feet that can go 10-15 feet up the foreshore.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: thames foreshore

Good thread! The expression Dutch Courage was born because the dutch were the only ones brave enough to sail up the thames and trade with london during the Plague.

I also understand that executions were sometimes managed by tying people to the banks of the thames at low tide and leaving them to be drowned by rising waters

Thames is now as clean as it's ever been, there are otters living even on the heavily populated strips which is a good sign

east end
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thames foreshore

in answer to traveler plus walk along the north side of the thames between london bridge and tower bridge around 400 metres from london bridge is a couple of flights of stairs i use this to go onto the foreshore.....this footpath is right on the waters edge and roughly level with hms belfast acros on the south side of the thames.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thames foreshore

That's right about executions. I think the terrace of the Prospect of Whitby pub is one of the places people used to gather to watch the drownings.

east end
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thames foreshore

they did hang people there....but then again they hung people in many places............funnily enough on the wall of the thames where i go there are a number of fixed changes.........spooky. my girlfriend is coming down from the north of england on sunday so if the tide times suit i will be on there sunday and will report back on monday......