We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

boston,ma
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

I will be in london for a week in April with my 11 year old visiting my 21 year old (both boys) who is studying there for a semester. My husband will be there for a few days on business. He has to see a customer in norwich and I was wondering if the boys and I go along in the car, is there a place to see along the way that he could drop us off at and p.u. on his return after business meeting. (all in same day).. Boys would love to see a castle or something else cool. I am also taking two boys on train to paris for an overnight. Any recommendation on reasonably priced hotel in paris. Is it a big mistake to go to paris on sat. and return on sun. (crowds). Should we arrange a tour in paris and if so any suggestions. Thanks so much. I am not a seasoned traveller so want to plan a lot in advance for an enjoyable experience.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Babylon Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

Hi

Norwich has it's own castle - might be easier for you if your husband dropped you off in Norwich itself?

It's a nice city - good shopping, restaurants, lovely Cathedral etc. You could easily spend an enjoyable day in the centre.

www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/default.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

Norwich is quite an isolated city so whilst there are some interesting houses and stately homes in the general area they are not that easy to get to by public transport so I would agree with Morgana and suggest that Norwich itself is certainly worth a few hours of exploration.

http://www.visitnorwich.co.uk/

www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/default.asp…

Not sure if you have booked your train tickets to Paris but it's worth looking at the packages (train & accommodation) offered by Eurostar as well as the overnight tours run by the likes of Evan Evans and Golden Tours. Day one sees an early start from Waterloo but a lot is packed in and day two is free for you to explore the city at your leisure. http://www.goldentours.co.uk/tour.php?34

You could also ask over on the Paris Forum for hotel suggestions should you decide to go it alone.

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Evan Evans Tours
Evan Evans Tours
2,682 Reviews
London, UK
Golden Tours
Golden Tours
6,133 Reviews
London, UK
london
Level Contributor
65 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

Hi, as per Paris, there is so much out there... why don't you skip Norwich and spend a bit more time in Paris? just an idea...

Last time I went to Paris, I stayed at Ibis Bastille Opera. I have posted my review on tripadvisor (where I have also given some restaurant suggestions). This hotel has several reviews, and reading them all will help you making up your mind. One thing, if you don't know much about the French, please note that they are heavy smokers! At least until last year (when I went) I don't think there was any laws forbidding smoke in public places. I am not sure if things have changed now.

I never arrange tours, I think it's better to make your own taylor made itineraries. In Paris it's very easy to move as the subway is very efficient. So just pick a few places that you want to visit and get hold of a subway map!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
boston,ma
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

thank you everyone for your ideas. I went to norwich 10 years ago (another of my husband's business trips) so I don't really want to hang out there again. If there isn't anything else in that vicinity we will just stay in london, because there is so much to do. I will check out eurostar trips for paris. Anyone know about crowds to and from paris on a sat. and sun. in april?

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

If you went via Cambridge rather than Ipswich (probably not that much difference in time) then you could either look around Cambridge or stop at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Ipswich
Ipswich
Suffolk, UK
Imperial War Museum
Imperial War Museum
9,011 Reviews
London, UK
boston,ma
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

waltr,

what can you tell me about the war museum. what is there to do in cambridge? my 21 year old is a big history buff so he may enjoy that museum. thank you in advance.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

You might stop in Colchester. Fascinating Roman museum there.

Mentioned in this post
Colchester
Colchester
Essex, UK
London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

We went to Cambridge for a day out then, at my husband's request, stopped off at Duxford Air Museum. All I can say is boys of all ages will enjoy it - and we girls did too .My father was a RAF pilot at the end of WW2 and flew out of that area, so it was a bit poignant for me, but the 12 and 15 year olds found it interesting too.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

Duxford is an old WW2 airfield that houses a large museum of aircraft and is part of the Imperial War Museum.

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

It also houses a building hosting 2nd WW US planes.

It is only very slighltly off the road to Norwich - keep going for an extra junction up the M11 and turn left.

If driving to Norwich take the M11/A11 route, going via the A12 and Ipswich is a horrible drive although you can detour via the coast if the weather is nice.

Mentioned in this post
Imperial War Museum
Imperial War Museum
9,011 Reviews
London, UK
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Ipswich
Ipswich
Suffolk, UK
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sightseeing enroute to norwich? hotel in paris for 1 night?

Eastcoastmomof3, if you decide to go to Cambridge, be sure to take in the American Cemetery from World War II. The city hop on-hop off bus tour goes there. It is a moving and wonderful place.

If you have an interest in boating, you can get a ride in a boat or rent a boat for a day on the River Yar or other waterways in the Broads National Park just south of Norwich. It's a pretty place, very flat, with windmills and many canals in the area and pubs on the riverbank.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, UK
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK