We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day tube pass/5 day travel pass

massachusetts
Level Contributor
220 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 day tube pass/5 day travel pass

My daughter, who is living in London this semester, told me to get a 5 day tube pass. Is a 5 day tube pass the same as a 5 day travel pass? Thanks, debby

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,388 Reviews
from $125.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,148 Reviews
from $128.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
540 Reviews
from $113.40*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day tube pass/5 day travel pass

I think that there are at least two ways to get 5 day unlimited rides on the tube. You can buy an oyster card and load a 5 day pass onto it. As far as I know, you have to do this in London. The other way to get five days of unlimited rides is to buy a travelpass. You can buy this before you go through visitbritaindirect.com. You need to know which zones you want to travel. If you are staying and traveling in central London zones 1-2 should be ok.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,733 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day tube pass/5 day travel pass

Travelcards - aka Tube passes (I suspect), aka travel passes - are the cards of choice for those who wish to use the Tube, bus and DLR.

Travelcards are available in one, three and seven day format, as well as one month and longer season tickets. For a stay of five days to a week, the seven day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 should be the business. At a cost of £23.20, it offers unlimited use of the Tube and DLR in those zones, plus bus use in all six zones.

If your daughter lives outside zone 2, you'll need a card to cover that area, as well: seven day cards for zones 1-3 cost £27.40, zones 1-4 £33.20, zones 1-5 £39.80 and zones 1-6 £43.00.

You can get your Travelcard when you arrive in London, at any Tube station. A seven day Travelcard will be issued to you on a plastic Oyster card, a smart card with the value of your Travelcard loaded on it. Just place Oyster cards flat on the yellow touch pads you'll see at Tube station gates and on buses, and carry on with your journey.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day tube pass/5 day travel pass

I posted some inaccurate information -- my travelcard is for seven days. There was no 5 day option. You can buy the travelcard in the States before you go, but it sounds like buying an oyster in London doesn't take much time at all.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
4. Re: 5 day tube pass/5 day travel pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 23, 2009