We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

Hello, I will be traveling from BCN to LGW to have a connection flight to BOS from LHR, if my flight from BCN arrives at LGW at 12:20 pm, and my flight from LHR departs 4:45 pm, it's on Sunday in January, do you think I would have enough travel time from LGW to LHR to catch the flight. It's not the same airline, there is another flight from BCN, but I think it would arrive to LGW too too early, 7:45 am, don't know what else to do around airport. Unless you guys have any suggestions? How long does it take to get intown London from LHR?

Thank you in advance.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,677 Reviews
from $123.20*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,251 Reviews
from $125.90*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from $103.10*
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

4 hours is the minimum time I'd allow to do this *if* your inbound flight arrives on time. However starting in one country to fly out of another is always a risk. I guess it depends how much a new walk up fare to boston will cost and when there is availability?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,054 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

It's tight, particularly if you're travelling on 2 separate tickets and your connection isn't protected by the airline in the event of a late arrival of your first flight. You are completely dependent on your inbound flight being on time, queues at immigration being relatively short, any checked bags arriving promptly, going straight to the coach, and it not getting held up in roadworks or accidents along the way. It's up to you if you're willing to take that risk and if you have the facilities to buy a ticket for another flight out of LHR if you miss it, as well as the provisions to potentially need to overnight in London as a result. You also need to check the check in times at LHR as some are quite long - T5 for example I think you need to be through security 50min before departure or they automatically offload you. Also in January you have a higher chance of there being delays either on the planes or road network due to bad weather.

Personally I would get the earlier flight. Can you not fly BCN to LHR?

I don't really understand your question about getting into London from LHR as you're coming into LGW and going to LHR.

Edited: 6:35 am, December 16, 2016
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,329 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

I would want 5 hours on a through ticket, longer if I was booked on separate tickets. It's not only the time it takes to physically transfer, but also the possibility of delayed and rescheduled flights.

Like edinem, I would take the earlier flight. If you;re thinking of doing that, going straight to LHR, leaving your bags there and heading into central London, I'm not sure you'll have a lot of time there. Windsor might be a better choice.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,054 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

ok, i read your other post which was fundamentally a duplicate but worded slightly different so think i understand the LHR to London question. Are you thinking about taking the earlier flight into LGW then heading into London for the day before heading to LHR? If you can find somewhere to leave luggage (should be an option at one of the main stations) that would be a much safer option!

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

Thank you for your suggestion, I guess what I meant was, if I were to choose an earlier flight to arrive to LGW at 8 am, is it again risky to take a quick trip into London for lunch and back to LHR for my flight to BOS at 4:45 pm, or I should just stay around LHR.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

Okay, that's what I'll do. Thanks again guys.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

Bank B

Don't know if you are aware but there are coaches that travel between the airports.

www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,329 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

You're welcome. I'm sorry I misunderstood your intention. Travelling between the airports via London would be fine if you are travelling light, or if you're happy to pay for left luggage which can be found at many of the main railway stations.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,537 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

Bear in mind you will need to be at the airport 2-3 hours before departure, most would say 3. The travel time from London out to LHR on the tube is around an hour, depending on the date in January and if there is any engineering works on that day.

Allow an hour to get through Gatwick to the train station then about 30-60 minutes to arrive in London, again depends on the date.

Edited: 7:09 am, December 16, 2016
London, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airports transfer time; LGW to LHR

"T5 for example I think you need to be through security 50min before departure or they automatically offload you. "

------

Not quite. At T5 you have to reach the boarding pass scan at the entrance to security at least 35 minutes prior to scheduled departure time, otherwise you would be offloaded.

However, if you have bags to check, BA now requires that check-in/bag drop for long haul flights from LHR is completed at least 60 mins prior to scheduled departure time. It remains 45 mins for short haul.

For the OP's question, it's quite risky on separate tickets when the "penalty" in this case is buying a new long haul ticket. On a single ticket this connection would be ok, but I'd agree with the plan of the earlier flight and a few hours in London.